Goodnight Luce | Teen Ink

Goodnight Luce

March 24, 2015
By Alyssa_R BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Alyssa_R BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

GOODNIGHT LUCE

a play in one act

 

CHARACTERS 
Steven, 23 years old, Loyal, Hardworking
Lucy, 21 years old, Drastic, Strong-willed
Dr. Jones, Lucy’s doctor, Sympathetic, Firm

SETTING
The living room of small, clean, new-looking house. The outside is painted a happy yellow, with white accents. Very suburban. Gives the impression of normality.

BACKGROUND
Steven and Lucy are newlyweds; they have been married for seven months.

 

SCENE 1

(LUCY sits on a hard-backed chair stage right, toying with her wedding ring. STEVEN enters.)

STEVEN
Honey.
(There’s no answer from LUCY. She continues to play with her wedding ring.)
Honey, you feeling alright?
(He crosses to her and kneels next to the chair.)
Lucy, look at me. Tell me what’s wrong.

LUCY
(LUCY looks up, surprised, as if just noticing her husband.)
Steven! You scared me! Shouldn’t you be at baseball practice right now?

STEVEN

Lucy...Luce, I quit baseball last month, remember?
(He seems sad. He takes her hands in his; they’re cold to the touch.)
Come on. It’s time for your appointment with Dr. Jones.
(STEVEN stands up and pulls LUCY to her feet, leading her like a child stage left. Stage darkens.)

 

SCENE 2
(Stage brightens to find STEVEN center stage. He’s holding a cell phone to his ear and looks worried.)

STEVEN
No, no, I know. I understand, Dr. Jones. Are you sure? I mean, if it will help her. I just want what’s best for her. I know. I know. Alright. Thank you. Bye.
(He hangs up the phone and looks at it for a second, then shoves it in his pocket. LUCY enters. She seems happy.)

LUCY
Oh, Steven, I just had the most brilliant idea. We should invite the Pattersons over for dinner tonight! I haven’t seen Amy in forever, and you get along fine with Johnny, don’t you?

STEVEN
(STEVEN crosses to LUCY, looking pained.)
Lucy, the Pattersons died in a car crash two months ago. We went to their funeral.

LUCY
(She seems confused.)
That’s not possible. I was talking to Amy’s mother at church just last week, and she didn’t say anything about Amy being dead. She just hugged me and said I was looking good...she didn’t say anything about Amy!

STEVEN
(Sighs, and turns away, pulling out his phone and dialing. Stage darkens.)

 

SCENE 3
(Lucy sits on a rocking chair center stage, cradling an empty blanket and singing softly. Steven enters left.)
STEVEN
(Alarmed, quickly moves to her side.)
Luce? Lucy, what are you doing?

LUCY
(Smiling happily as she rocks the bundle back and forth.)
It’s our baby, Steven. Isn’t she beautiful? I’m going to name her Sarah. After my grandmother.

STEVEN
(Stutters, moves towards LUCY.)
Lucy...Lucy, give me the blanket.
(Holds out his arms, moving carefully.)
LUCY
You want to hold her?

STEVEN
(Shakes his head.)
Lucy. Lucy, look at me.
(Voice trembles, and he steps forward to take the blanket.)
We don’t have a baby. Lucy, don’t you remember?
(Gently takes away blanket. Lights dim.)

 

SCENE 4

(LUCY sleeps in a hospital bed center stage. STEVEN and DR. JONES stand in front of the bed and split center.)
DR. JONES
As a professional, Steven, that’s what I recommend.

STEVEN
(Anxious, grasping at straws.)
Alright, but what about as a friend? What do you recommend?

DR. JONES
(Shrugs.)
Honestly, I don’t know. I’d say, how much do you love your wife? What do you want for her? And how much do you value your own sanity?

STEVEN
(Desperately.)
Doctor, I don’t think you understand. When I married Lucy, I made a promise. I promised that I would be there for her, in sickness and in health.

DR. JONES
Yes, but no one could foresee this. No one would blame you, Steven.  

STEVEN
(Looks at LUCY.)
I would.


SCENE 5
(LUCY and STEVEN sit on two hard-backed chairs, splitting center.)

STEVEN
(Takes LUCY’S hands.)
Alright. Lucy, I’m going to be completely honest with you now, okay? And after I tell you everything, we need to make a decision together. A very important one. Okay?

LUCY
(Looks annoyed and shifts slightly.)
I’m not a child, Steven. I understand

STEVEN
(Closes his eyes for a moment, composing himself, then nods.)
Of course. Alright. Now, I’m going to be straight. If you need a break, just say so.

LUCY
Yeah, yeah, I’ll be fine. Now why are you acting so weird?

STEVEN
(Takes deep breath.)
Lucy, you’ve been taking ECT. Electroconvulsive therapy. It was supposed to help you, after...well...do you remember...well, I suppose you don’t. Luce, a few months after we were married, you got pregnant. We were so excited, but then you had a miscarriage. It was bad. Really bad. And...you never really recovered. You were diagnosed with PTSD and depression. 

LUCY
(Pulls her hands away from STEVEN.)
What?

STEVEN
(Reaches for her again.)
You were hurting yourself, and nothing was helping. Dr. Jones recommended ECT, to help you forget...but then you started forgetting everything. It wasn’t supposed to be like that; you were only supposed to forget that you had a miscarriage. But then you began forgetting simple, everyday things...and then you began pretending that we had a baby. And it’s becoming too much.

LUCY
(Coldly, tilting her chin.)
What are you saying?

STEVEN
Dr. Jones recommended two options, for helping you get better. We can continue with the ECT, and risk you forgetting even more...

LUCY
Or?

STEVEN
Or we could try checking you into a mental facility.

LUCY
(Shocked, stands up abruptly.)
You want to have me committed?

STEVEN
(Frantic, stands up hastily.)
No, no, Luce that’s not it at all! It’s just that, if the ECT is making you forget everything, maybe we should at least consider...I mean, if it would help you...?

LUCY
(Turns away from STEVEN, facing the audience.)
You mean if it would help you. What, you can’t handle having a mental wife? It’s alright, I understand. It’s too much for you. I’m too much for you.

STEVEN
Lucy, no. Forget it, alright?

LUCY
It seems as though I already have.
(She shoots him an angry look, and walks off stage left.)

STEVEN
(Drops his face to his hands. Stage darkens.)

 

SCENE 6
(LUCY sleeps in a hospital bed center stage. STEVEN and DR. JONES stand in front of the bed and split center.)

STEVEN
(Worn out, sad, tired.)
I don’t know. I just don’t know.
(Runs a hand across his face.)

DR. JONES
(Sympathetic.)
This isn’t your fault, Steven. Please don’t blame yourself.

STEVEN
(Crazed, turns and grasps DR. JONES by the lapels.)
Yes, it is! She thinks that I think she’s a burden, that’s why she did this! Don’t tell me it’s not my fault!
(Releases DR. JONES abruptly and turns away, facing the audience.)
DR. JONES
I’m sorry.
(Places his hand on STEVEN’S shoulder, then turns and exits left.)

STEVEN
(Looks over at LUCY and sighs, then exits left.)

 

SCENE 7
(LUCY sleeps in a hospital bed center stage. A nurse stands on the stage left side of the bed, holding a clipboard and talking to herself.)

NURSE
Hmm...21 years old...history of depression and PTSD...miscarriage.
(Eyes widen slightly and NURSE glances over at LUCY.)
Reason for admittance...suicide attempt! Overdose...slit wrists with razor from pencil sharpener...keep away from sharp objects.
(Sighs and shakes her head, exits stage left.)

 

SCENE 8
(Back at their house, LUCY sits on a bed center stage, STEVEN standing next to her, stage left side.)

STEVEN
(Worn out, tired.)
Just...try to get some sleep, alright?

LUCY
(Nods, looking out at audience.)

STEVEN
Okay. You...don’t have anything sharp on you, do you?

LUCY
No.
(Her gaze flickers down to her feet.)

STEVEN
(Sighs, then bends down, pulling a nail file out of her sock.)
Goodnight Luce.
(He exits stage left.)

LUCY
(Sits on the edge of the bed, looking down, toying with her wedding ring. Suddenly her head shoots up and she pulls off the ring, inspecting it closely. Tentatively, she presses the diamond to her wrist, as if testing the sharpness. Blackout.)

THE END