The Light Within | Teen Ink

The Light Within

May 10, 2018
By Telkied BRONZE, Carbondale, Illinois
Telkied BRONZE, Carbondale, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Light Within
It had been five years since the sun had fallen from the sky. Everyone had their own theory about why it had happened, but no one could really come up with a good answer. The fact was that the sun had been there, and now it was gone. Without the sun, the world became a bleak and colorless land. Trees, flowers, and grass all withered away in the awful darkness, and only the most resilient of plants remained. Entire cities moved underground seeking refuge from the ever present cold of the surface. Food was scarce, and living conditions poor but they struggled on. Many had given up hope, consigning themselves to their fate but a few remained hopeful. They believed that one day a savior would come to restore the sun and bring back life into the land.
When Alex was young, his father had died from a strange sickness, leaving Alex to live off whatever his mother could find. Despite being hungry often, Alex grew up as a cheerful child, full of energy and willing to help out his mother whenever he could. Alex soon became close friends with a kid around his age named Derek and they did everything together. When the sun fell, Derek and Alex had been relaxing lazily on a hill, in the chaos ensuing, they frantically asked around about Alex’s mother, but she was one of many who was lost in the darkness. For a time, Derek and Alex managed to survive in the underground city, but Alex grew restless. The sun had fallen, it had to be out there somewhere and nobody was doing anything to look for it. So Alex set out, bringing Derek with him, to find it and bring back life to the desolate world.
As Derek arrived at the crest of yet another dark, dusty hill he sat down in dismay.
“We’ve been out here for years and seen nothing but more gray hills, devoid of all but a few tubers to eat. What if the sun really is gone forever.” Derek exclaimed.
“Oh come on now” said Alex, “It hasn’t been years plu--”
“Well we can’t really tell now can we because THERES NO SUN!” Derek replied in a burst of frustration.
“It hasn’t been that bad” replied Alex calmly. “We’ve been able to find enough food, which is more than many people in the city can say. Plus, we’ve been able to see what the darkness has done to the world. While others hide away, we alone know the entirety of how dire the situation is”
“I suppose you’re right” said Derek, calming down a bit, “I just don’t get how you can be so cheerful all the time. I would have given this up long ago if you weren’t here. You’ve got a sort of light that radiates from you, your own mini sun”
“Thanks, my mom always used to say the same thing” replied Alex “what do you say we climb five more hills before taking a long rest.”
Grudgingly, Derek agreed. As they began their descent, they lapsed into a solemn silence. The bleak, nearly featureless landscape seemed to crawl by, but at last they reached the fifth hill. As Derek finally neared the crest, he set down his pack and was getting ready to sleep when Alex let out a gasp. Looking up Derek noticed what had caught Alex’s attention. There, nestled in a giant crater, was a bright yellow orb. After recovering from his amazement, Alex exclaimed.
“We made it! That’s the Sun! Let’s go”
Derek, as excited as he was that they had finally arrived, tried to talk some sense into Alex.
“It’s still a ways away and we’ve been traveling for a long time. Your legs would give out before you would make it. Let’s take a rest and set off once we have more energy.”
For the first time ever, sleep was unwelcome to both of them. The amazement of how far they had come kept them up for a while. Finally, after managing a few hours of sleep, they both hurriedly packed up and set off, eagerly discussing the bright flowers that would soon return. As they got nearer though, the light seemed to be getting dimmer and smaller. Wordlessly, they started walking slightly faster, a new fear beginning to grow inside them. Finally, Alex dropped his pack and started sprinting towards the now human sized orb of light. As he approached the heat made him uncomfortable but nothing more. When we reached the sun his heart sunk. It was clear the the sun was fading, soon it would be gone. They had traveled for a seemingly endless while only to arrive in time to see the sun die. Alex thought of their ageless adventure, the memories Derek and him had made. He thought of the cities that would never again feel the warmth of the sun’s rays.  Then, memories of his mother flooded back to him.
“Don’t worry little sunshine, we will get food somehow”
“You are special Alex, you are always willing to help. Your selflessness sets you apart from others, it radiates form you like a light.”
He remembered the many times Derek had expressed how Alex filled him with hope. He felt those feeling pour from his soul and light engulfed him. He faintly heard Derek running towards him yelling something.
It had been a year since the sun had returned. Derek had arrived back at home a hero. Everyone thought he had restored the sun, but none of them understood the price. Alex had given himself up for the world. Yet he was not gone, Derek saw Alex in every sapling as it reached for the light. He saw Alex in every blade of vibrant green grass or brilliant flower. Color, life, warmth and hope had been restored to the world because of Alex’s sacrifice, and Derek vowed never to forget his friend


The author's comments:

Do you ever know those people who just seem to radiate a light that touches everyone they meet? Well this story follows one of those people, one who brightens up everyone around him, but combining that with an almost metaphorical representation of it.