Food or lover? | Teen Ink

Food or lover?

Dear Espelia. Please find Dmitri Stinewall. He is to be your next victim. Kill him quickly and roast him gently.
I walk into my sophomore homeroom. I have no idea who this “Dmitri” is, but he will most certainly be dead within the hour. I look down at my watch, its true clear nature showing my reptilian skin underneath. I look like a human, but I am not. I eat humans. They are my prey, and I need them to survive. Dmitri is my next meal.
He had better not be pretty, because I have a history of betraying my Endall government to fall in love with a human. Believe me, I am the most notorious for that. I was very nearly excommunicated from my species for doing that. I will never do that again.

My English Teacher calls roll. “Dmitri?” She adds on to the end. A small teen with brown eyes, blond hair, and freckles stands up and bows to her. “Thank you for teaching this lesson, Madame.” He says this with such serious gratefulness that my classmates start to laugh. He looks around at us, and his eyes land on me, as I am the only one who is not laughing. That isn’t because I didn’t find it amusing, it is because I simply am unable to laugh. It isn’t in my genetic code. So when Dmitri sits back down, and he starts to watch me, I curse my ancestry.

At lunch that day, I am sitting alone, as always. If you hold a dictionary in front of your nose and pretend to read it, no one will try to sit near you. Humans have a way of smelling delicious even when they aren’t assigned to me, but when they are, oh they smell simply divine.

So when I smell they sweetest thing other than a kill, I look up. My assignment is setting down his tray. This is perfect. I canlure him into a bathroom stall to make out, and then kill and roast him before eating him. This will be my best meal in a very long time.

“Hello,” The smell says. “I saw you were the only one to not make fun of me, and since I saw you sitting alone, I thought I would sit with you. What’s your name?” “Espelia,” I say through gritted teeth. this boy is in danger of becoming my next problem. “Do you have a girlfriend?” I ask, hoping he doesn’t so that I can get this over with quickly. “No,” He responds, looking around cautiously. “I would love for you to be mine though?” It sounds more like a question than anything else. It is incredibly cute. “Do you want to go make out in the bathroom?” I ask, hoping nobody from the surrounding tables is listening. “Heck yeah!” He responds, jumping up, “Let’s go!”
And that marks the beginning of my problems. Because whatever I do, I just cannot seem to kill him. But when I receive a letter from the government reminding me that I am being awfully slow, and have three days to complete my assignment, I panic. I can’t do this again.

I walk to school, looking at Dmitri’s house as I walk by. I know for a fact that he is not at school yet. He always comes late, so I decide to go try my plan. I jump up to his window and hover there. I pound on it. He comes over and opens it, and then looks at my floating figure. “Woah.” before he can say any more, I say, yes, I have a lot to explain, but I need you to pack up your most important belongings and clothes and whatever you need. You have five minutes, I will explain on the way.

And with that, I prepare myself. I look around one last time to absorb my childhood. “I’m ready.” says a voice behind me. I turn around to see my human. And this time, I am strong enough to protect him. With that, I pick him up, and fly him to a cave that I had pre-furnished with everything that we could ever need. I’m happy, and there is nothing else that I could possibly need.