Island Life | Teen Ink

Island Life

By Chase246 BRONZE, Buckhead, Georgia
Chase246 BRONZE, Buckhead, Georgia

My mom died in my arms today. Wishing I could bring her back, hoping I could see her peachy skin, and ocean green eyes for one last time. I didn’t have a father growing up, and I didn’t know of any other family I had. I ran to the police station and told them everything. About the man that shot her, what he looked like, what she did to the man, and how she died. They said to stay put until they take me away to a foster home, but where is the fun in that. Although I couldn’t think about fun with my now clouded mind, I could still have fun, right? What am I supposed to do now that I don’t have any family, that I know of, to take care of me? I couldn’t just sit around in some jail cell until a random stranger comes to pick me up.

I decided to stay at the prison where they told me to wait in the “Cafeteria”. I learned a lot of new things from the inmates, like how to steal, and how to be bad. Sometimes they even let me in on a jail break. I was only 10, but I knew what I needed to do. I became a criminal genius, the madman on the streets, and to live like it was my last day on Earth. I now live in a quaint little village on an island of the coast of Guam. Here I am supposed to work out my problems with my counselor. She kinda likes me, but that is only because she invited me to her cabin at midnight.

I love this place. It is way better than that place with the bricks falling from the walls and ceiling, with the half trays because they are rusted, and the guards. The guards were the worst thing about that place, always telling me when I need to eat, when I need to sleep, and even when I have to go to the bathroom. Jim was the worst. He was the head guard, and never let me do anything. Josh, though, was the lazy guard. He let me do lots of things. Here, though, I can go wherever I want on the island, sleep when I want to, eat when I want to, and now even pee when I want to. “Jimmy, it is time for your meeting.”

“Be right there.”

That was my counselor, she needs me to talk about how I need to rule this island. That is right, when my dad dies, that makes me next in line to become king of the island. I know I said I never met my dad, but I did two days ago. It turns out, my dad was sent here right before I was born, and lived here ever since. My dad is awesome, he taught me new things about discipline, and how to make people listen to you. I am only 5’11”, but my dad said I’ll grow. You know, my dad is 7’8”, and he says I will be there in a couple of years.
I told him my mother died, but he didn’t care, he only said he knew it would happen early. He says he had feelings for her until she divorced him, and gave up royalty. He did get remarried, but it didn’t go so well, she ended up killing someone, and was sentenced to death. Even then he didn’t feel any emotions, he just stood there and shrugged. On some occasions he will act like that, and in some he will be as calm as an Lake Tahoe in the middle of winter. I think my dad may have a split personality, but I’m not sure. I should ask him, but what good would that do me? I just learned my dad was still alive, I want to get on his good side, not his bad. He knows my counselor likes me, and I’m not gonna lie, I think he likes her. She is only 11 years younger than him, and 11 years older than me. I’m 16, so she is 27, and my dad is 38.

You might be wondering why I’m going to be king when my dad is still alive. Well, he wants to go back to the real world, and stay there. Me, I want to stay right here. Here, I decide who gets in and out, who needs to be separated, and best of all, free everything. I know with great power comes great responsibility, but where is the fun in that? I will be a good king, but I need to go over the rules with my future step-mom, and counselor, Persephone.