Cyber | Teen Ink

Cyber MAG

By Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut
Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut

"Respect existence or expect resistance"

I look over the sleek metal paneling uncertainly. Channels of blue run down the sides, pathways for electronic messages to flow from my brain to the makeshift foot, not yet connected to my temporarily mangled leg. It’s nothing special, really, just another state-of-the-art cybernetic prosthetic. It’ll replace a crippled foot that’s too misshapen and broken to carry my weight.

They say it will work perfectly.

I honestly don’t believe them.

The surgery should be quick. I will be unconscious the whole time, unfeeling, unconnected, unaware. I won’t feel the computerized foot’s metal tendrils snaking into my nerves and latching on. I won’t feel its connectors flowing through my veins and snaking up through my leg, my torso, my neck, and finally, my brain. I won’t feel anything except the sudden wholeness as I am completed once again: part human, part cyber.

They say it will work like new. I’m really not sure what to make of that. I haven’t heard of any severe cases of cybernetics going haywire, but it’s still a possibility. If the wiring doesn’t connect properly to my brain, if it misses the nerves by less than a millimeter, it might not work at all.

If it misses by more than a millimeter, I could have severe brain damage.

They, of course, say everything will be fine.

I seriously doubt that.

Becoming a cyber will render my status halved. I won’t be viewed as I am now: as a human. Being a cyber means less pay, less respect, less everything, and because the connectors in my brain could potentially be hacked, I could also be out of a job. The Royals can’t have any loose ends in their ranks, ends that the enemy could easily take advantage of. I am a liability. I’ll probably be cast out, never to see my lover’s face again. Chances are, after this, I won’t even remember him.

No loose ends, after all.

I have their secrets, and if I get hacked, the enemy could easily sabotage the Royals’ plans. Leaving me alive means leaving an open door to their secrets, and that could turn the war in our opponents’ favor. Killing me, though, would be too obvious, too dirty. Better just to clear my memory, secrets and all, and be done.

They said they won’t do it. For once, I know for certain that they are lying.

When I get that foot on my leg, I won’t remember who I am. I won’t remember the countless nights staying up to study for exams, the tests I had to pass in order to reach my status in the Royal Guild. I won’t remember that priceless moment when they first approached me with the offer – for a job that would take me places I couldn’t yet imagine. I won’t remember my parents, my younger brother, my friends. Heck, I won’t even remember my name.

I lie on the examination table, run my fingers across the cold metal, and shiver under the harsh lights. I’m trying not to look at the sophisticated machine that is going to remove my foot – the foot that was caught under a burning pillar that collapsed during my escape after I stole critical information about the enemy’s new weapon. The foot I lost for the bloody Royals, who I know are going to wipe everything I know about them away. If they have any courtesy, they might leave me my personal history. But it will never be the same. I will never be myself again, and I can only hope that my new self will realize that.

I can only hope that she searches with everything she has to figure out why.

Life has been good to me. My parents were good people with steady jobs that kept the family out of the slums. My younger brother was so sweet, the most lovable nuisance in the world. I got through school easily enough – not a perfect student, but not a bad one, either. I had good friends who I trusted and who trusted me in return.

When the Royals approached me, offering the job of a lifetime – I’d decode ciphers, spy on the enemy, occasionally steal their plans – I didn’t know what to think. Apparently, I was prime material, but that wasn’t really what interested me; I was, after all, fresh out of college, and I hadn’t scored an amazing education there anyway. All I really wanted was a job with good pay that I wouldn’t mind committing to, and here one was. Of course I accepted.

That was probably the best thing I had ever done in my whole life.

Almost immediately after initiation, my world got crazy. It didn’t take long for me to realize what they had left out of the job description – fieldwork. Every mission sounded so simple on paper, but as soon as you stepped into enemy territory, the threat of being shot in the back of the head complicated things. I can’t count how many times I nearly died stealing enemy information. Yet I was always successful.

And then I met him, the man who should have shot me as soon as he realized who I was. The man I should have shot on sight, knowing perfectly well what side he was on. The man who revealed to me the truth about the Royals, about myself, about everything I knew. The man who would shift my loyalties forever.

His name was Anthony.

• • •

I was on a mission to intercept a transmission of orders directly from the enemy’s counsel, but in order to do so, I needed direct contact with one of their radios. Ever since they revived the use of radio waves and figured out how to isolate a single wavelength to be inaccessible to any communicators except ones directly connected, no one could hack in. Unless someone like me listened in on the transmission directly.

Clad in black, with a technological cloak that confused others’ perception of me, I found that breaking in and getting the transmission was the easy part. Getting out should have been even easier, and it would have been if they hadn’t planted a bug in the wavelength. It disabled my cloak and made me visible to anyone – and I didn’t notice the flaw in the cloak’s functionality.

We bumped into each other, literally. I was in a self-assured haste to get out of the base before the theft was discovered; he was off to complete some mundane delivery. The collision knocked the small box out of his hands. Out of instinct, I bent down to pick it up and handed it to him politely – then realized my mistake.

“Excuse me,” I muttered, trying to push past him.

He turned toward me. I heard him call out a single word: “Wait.”

And slowly, ever so slowly, my heart thumping in a panic, I turned to face him. I’d never been caught in the act before. I’m a terrible liar – always have been – and my acting skills are no better.

“Where are you off to? You do realize the rendezvous is this way?” He flashed a smirk, then gestured in the direction he was heading – the opposite of where I needed to go.

I nodded. “Of course. I just need to drop something off first, sir.”

It took less than a second for me to catch the brief flash of confusion in his face. Apparently people didn’t refer to him as sir.

“What exactly are you planning to drop off?” he asked. I caught his eyes searching me for a package or supplies, and I blushed.

“Um … pick up. I need to pick something up, not drop off.”

“Right. And that would be?”

I bit my lip. “Uniform?” The word slipped out with a faint squeak, and I was perfectly aware how dubious it sounded.

“Do you need help? You look lost.”

I opened my mouth to reply, but no sound came out. It took me a moment to warm up to the idea, but eventually I closed my mouth and gave a shallow nod. If I were discovered, it would all be for nothing, but if not, maybe I could get some real information. The sort of thing that would change the war entirely.

He smiled weakly and shuffled the box in his hands. “This way.”

I know it was dumb. You just don’t follow your enemy through his own compound after giving him a bucketload of obvious lies, hoping to still remain undercover. I wasn’t planning on him finding out. I wasn’t planning on falling in love with him. I wasn’t planning on finding something that really would change the war completely, myself with it.

None of it was supposed to happen. But it did.

• • •

I lean against the table, ready for whatever is going to happen next. My life will be torn away; while my outer body remains almost the same, on the inside, a new person with new memories will walk in my footsteps. I will never have existed. Some stranger will take my place.

For some reason, I’m not afraid. I’ve lived my life. I’ve been everything I have wanted to be and found more than I ever could have expected to find. I made my loyalties, made my betrayals, chose my side.

The Royals can figure out who I really was, what I really did, without my help. They can pretend to understand my choice to fight against them rather than follow the blueprints that I helped create. They can try to unravel the knots I tied around their plans. They can try to fight, but I cuffed their hands behind their backs years ago. They can keep on going, pretending that they will win, yet never knowing why this war even started. They can keep on believing in a goal that isn’t there, fighting a fight that they were programmed to create.

I don’t care anymore, because I know something that they can only wistfully feel but never understand. They will never comprehend that they are only puppets. Puppets that were strung without resistance, puppets that have forgotten the wiring etched into their souls. They will never be able to remember what the world was before they woke up on one of these examination tables, without meaning, without purpose.

They will never know who they were before they woke, and how that ignorance has turned them into who – what – they are now.

I don’t remember who I was the first time, but I do know who I am now. A malfunction. A puppet who fought against the lies and cut the strings that controlled me, and found the humanity tucked away within myself. Now that resistance must be forgotten through new strings so strong and unbreakable that I need an exterior piece that will control my every action, my every move, my every thought. It’s not about liability, it’s about humanity. But to them, it’s the same thing.

While they pretend to feel, pretend to live as souls uncontrolled and unstolen, while I slowly lose the very humanity I fought so desperately to find, while they rely on the cybernetics that trace their veins, I will have known the truth. About myself, the world, them.

Even though I will forget, I will also know, deep down, that for a little while I was more human than they ever were. And I know, deep down, that there is a chance that I will find myself again.

The sedative is cold as it seeps into my blood, and softly, everything goes black.

Thank you! You won't be disappointed (hint hint) - it will be some time before I can begin to iron out a sequel, but ideas are building. I'm glad you enjoyed this story!

theskylarksings GOLD, Columbia, Kentucky
This is a lovely story! I would really love to see more of this world. You set up enough to tantalize me.... Also I love the main character already! I will be a little disappointed if there isn't a sequel (hint hint). Thoroughly enjoyable!

Creative-Writer BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

We know what we are, but know not what we may be. -William Shakespeare

You are very welcome!

Thank you again! I have edited this since I posted it so I'm pretty sure most of the grammatical errors are gone, though it's always safe to check:) I didn't exactly mean for there to be a specific moral to this story, but I'm elated that you found one. It means a lot to me that you liked this. Thank you so much for your comments!

Creative-Writer BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

This is one of the best story's I have ever read.  I recieved a moral from this writing -whether you meant to put one in there or not - and I liked it very much.  I COULD NOT stop reading, and was upset when it ended (for real) but the ending is good too!  There were a few mistakes I caught, but i'm sure if you re-read it, you would find them.  Great job! 

I'm glad you like it! Your advice is really helpful, and I will definitely use it when I revise again. I understand your confusion with the main character being controlled or not - the answer is that she once was, but gradually found her way out of its control - and I will be sure to clarify next time I edit. Thank you so much for your help!

on Sep. 28 2014 at 9:19 am
Icithra PLATINUM, Arlington, Massachusetts

The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

That was a really good story. While the first part wasn't as dramatic as the part with Anthony, the setting up of the world bit by bit kept me interested, and so did the forshadowing. Even a little more in that department wouldn't hurt. I love the idea of the Royals being robotically controlled, very creepy, but I was slightly -only very slightly- confused at whether or not the narrator was being controlled by the same force. Amazing story, overall, totally deserving an editors choice.

on Jul. 28 2014 at 10:09 am

Thanks! I do think the romance could have been a little longer, but since this is honestly one of my first times playing around with romantic writing, I wanted to keep it short. When I edit, I will definitely take your comments into account. Thank you so much for being honest and picking out the things that needed editing:) 

Canadotas PLATINUM, Harrisonburg, Virginia

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” --Albert Einstein

First, that's how you do an ending. Seriously good job there. As Jacob said, there definitely is some lacking in details, but I don't mind. I've tried writing a lot of sci-fi, and I find myself explaining how it got to this and what the new customs are and frankly it just gets boring. I'm glad that you leave things up to the imagination, but the romance could have been more developed. I do like how you keep "the truth" so vague. Good story!

Thank you, that really helps! I was hoping the ending would be subtle and suspenseful while the general concept came through (really, when I wrote it I hadn't come to the latter conclusion that they were all cybernetically controlelled yet). I have edited a little bit so the language is a little better, and thank you for pointing out the problems in this piece. You have no idea how much I appreciate this! When I'm done stirring around with the novel I'm currently trying to complete, I think this is going to be my next big project:) Thank you so much for the support!

IMSteel BRONZE said...
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina

"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

Interrogate me all you like! That's part of making your stories the best they can be! Now, (and I am thinking what I write through carefully), the ending did suggest to me that they were all being controlled, though in a subtle way that left room for suspense, so that was perfect! The romance was brief, but impacting, because it is from the man on the enemy's side that she learns the truth. I definately think that this story is contest material, though you may want to define the language to a bit of a finer point. As for your last question, if you think you could manage turning this into a novel, I would definately encourage it. It would provide an opportunity to explore the numerous sub-plots that I could sense behind the words of this story. Good luck, and keep writing!

Thank you! And although when I initially wrote this I was aiming for the AIA paradox (love the reference:) I have been reconsidering about whether or not to expand it into a novel. Right now I am busy working on another story, but when I am done I will start to seriously consider this option. Thank you for your comments!

JacobTheOrdinary PLATINUM, Rancho Cucamonga, California

"Fiction is the lie that tells the truth."

this piece was attention grabbing and had me from the star. the only criticism I have is that I wish that there was more. You leave the story on a cliff-hanger and the story is over. It's the AIA paradox. (The AIA paradox comes from John Green's "The Fault In Our Stars" When a fictionous novel ends mid-sentence and the characters do not have resolution. At the end of the story, the characters no longer exist because the story is over and so is the fictionous world they live in.) I just wish I had more story.  The part you actually wrote though was superb and I wish to read more of your work. 

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed this, and honestly thrilled that the emotions came through. Thank you so much for your comments. However, I have to ask - does the ending make sense to you? Was it clear that (*spoiler*) the Royals and their side were all cybernetically controlled by some greater power? I wasn't sure if it came through clearly enough, and since I'm considering entering this into a contest these picky details are vital. Also, is the 'romance' part really anything touching, or just a little cliche? I'm fairly new to that genre, and this was my first real attempt. And finally, (sorry for the interrogation, but knowing just what level this story is at means a lot to me) do you think I should make this is into a fully fledged novel? I've been considering it for quite awhile, but never really pieced together a plot, being half-convinced it isn't worth it.  Thank you so much for your comments, and I would really appreciate your opinion on the latter questions if you have the time.

Thank you so much! (I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner, had absolutely no access to a computer since I was at a music camp... This was very nice to come back to:)

on Jul. 18 2014 at 10:53 am
Bethany_Saint GOLD, Dexter, Maine

"Never regret something that once made you smile." - Amber Deckers

"Stories are more than just images. As you continue in the tale, you get to know the characters, motivations and conflicts that make up the core of the story...." - Livia Blackburne

Wow! I'm not usually into sci-fi but this is great! An awesome job! Keep up the great writing!

on Jul. 18 2014 at 10:51 am
Bethany_Saint GOLD, Dexter, Maine

Had me on the edge of my seat! Awesome job! Keep up the good work!

IMSteel BRONZE said...
on Jul. 17 2014 at 9:06 am

Wow. This was amazing; blew me away. I usually add som sort of constructive critisism, but this story is one of the few on here that even I can't critisize. The emotion there on the end nearly made me cry. Great story, I definately look forward to reading more of your work, and probably seeing some of it published. Keep writing!