The Beast on the Hill | Teen Ink

The Beast on the Hill

By PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana
PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

There once was a horrible beast with a heart of broken glass and a smile of crooked teeth. He was a gentle soul, who cared for the humans who dared to live so close to him. He'd watch their houses at night with tears running down his scarred face. He loved their warm, orange windows in the dark and the smoke from their chimneys that curled up to reach the stars. He saw the small humans walking around inside and wished to be there with them. He wanted to sit around their fires and laugh with them and cry with them and when it was time for little children to sleep, he wished to tuck them into bed.
Although the humans did not know, the beast protected them from evil warlocks and magicians and beasts that were not as kindhearted as himself.
Because the humans did not know, they treated him like an animal. They hated him and called him an ugly monster.
But the beast was content to endure their harshness. For he loved them all. He loved their mothers and fathers, their children, their grandparents, their dogs, their cats, their sheep, their babies and toddlers, their bullies, their heroes, their outcasts.
So the beast lurked outside their hems, watching over them and keeping them safe from the night and the creatures that lurked within.
One day, one of the sweet human children had gone outside to play. The beast saw the child and wondered what the little girl was doing so far away from home.
The beast followed the girl, catching her from the shadows when she fell and gently pushing her in the direction of her home like a gentle breeze. But he didn't dare let her see him and his ugly, monstrous face.
When the girl was close enough to her home that she could see it, the beast left her. He watched her fading into the distance. He saw her mother embrace the girl, he heard them both laugh.
And the beast smiled, tears spilling from his hollow eyes.