A Kiss to Remember | Teen Ink

A Kiss to Remember

I don’t think I’m ready to say goodbye. He is the love of my life who is fighting for our messed up country. I’m just afraid he won’t make it.
“Good morning, beautiful,” Matthew says to his wife, Elizabeth.
“We have been married for five years and you still give me butterflies.”
“You didn’t sleep again last night. I need you to stop worrying about me, we still have a week together.”
“I just can’t imagine my life without you.”
“You don’t need to! I’m still here, so let’s enjoy it!” Matt says, while kissing Elizabeth.
Liz and Matt get ready for the day and make breakfast. While finishing up, Matt reads the paper and gets mad. Liz takes the paper from him and throws it in the trash. He complains that the writers only talked about the Japanese and don’t give credit to the American military. The writers only give credit to the Americans when the battle is eventually over.
“You need to relax, it’s just the paper.”
“I find it disrespectful, but I know the real truth. Let’s go for a walk before I have to go to my meeting.”
While they are walking, many citizens thank him for serving the country. All he does is smile and nod, while Liz takes all the thank yous personally. Every time someone thanks Matt, Liz squeezes his hand.
How am I supposed to take all of these thank yous when the war isn’t even over? We are still in conflict with the Japanese, and I haven’t even fought in the war yet. Liz is too proud of me, all I think is that I’m going to die. I just need to remain calm and collected for Liz.
They finish their walk just in time for Matt to go to his meeting. All the soldiers and sailors are in the tight, compact room waiting for their captain. As Captain walks in the room, everyone becomes silent as they watch him walk to the front of the room. ”So as most of you know, the atomic bombs were successful but the war isn’t over. Many soldiers have passed on fighting in this war, but it’s up to you gentlemen to finish it. You guys will be leaving in three days time, so say all your goodbyes and get focused,” Captain says.
“Yes, Captain,” everyone says in unison.
Matt leaves the room with a blank expression on his face. He doesn’t know how Liz is going to react. He takes the long way home, trying to figure out what to say. As he walks in the door and he notices Liz standing in their house with tears in her eyes. “How was the meeting?”
“I’m leaving in two days,” he says with no hesitation.
“I’m pregnant.”
“What?”
“What happened? Are we losing the war? Why are you leaving us in two days? We were supposed to have another week together.”
“Captain said that we need to finish what they started. Lots of soldiers have died from fighting for our country, and now it’s up to us to finish the war. So I’m leaving in two days unless a miracle happens. We are going to be fine, don’t worry.”
“I know I’m a nurse, but I’m also pregnant and you’re leaving. I can’t be strong all by myself.”
Liz and Matt keep bickering back and forth until Liz finally bursts into tears because she’s so scared and stressed.  She doesn't want to raise their kid all by herself or lose her husband. He reassures that he will not die and that he will be home to raise their kid. They go on with their day, Liz goes to the hospital to let them know that she is taking two days off, so she could spend them with her husband. When she gets home, she notices Matt on his knees praying. Liz joins him with tears streaming down her face. They haven’t been to church since the war started because they have been so preoccupied with everything else. They got up from the ground and looked at each other and just hugged.
The next day, Liz was acting strange. She was acting like nothing happened. Matt was confused but didn't want to ask about it. They went on another walk, then sat in the park, and finally made their way home. She was still acting like everything was fine, but it was now concerning Matt.
“Honey, how are you doing?”
“I’m fine! What should we have for lunch?”
“It’s up to you. Are you sure you’re okay?”
“I’ll make us some simple sandwiches because I want to go out for dinner tonight.”
“Stop switching the subject, and talk to me.”
“We only have one more day, can we please try to act normal? That is what is keeping me sane. Please stop asking me if I’m okay because actually I’m dying inside.”
“Okay, I’m sorry.”
The rest of the night flies by and they go to bed. The next morning came along and Liz was okay. She wasn’t too happy or too sad, just okay. This time they just stayed at their home and enjoyed each other’s company. They both were just happy to be with each other. They brought out the old family photo albums. They love reminiscing on the old, prewar times. Before they knew it, the sun was setting and Matt could tell Liz was getting nervous.
“Let’s just go to bed, you need your sleep for you and the baby.”
“Okay, I love you so much. Goodnight.”
They woke up and headed to the ship where all the sailors are suppose to meet at. When Liz sees the ship, her heart drops and she squeezes Matt’s hand. A sailor runs up to Matt and screams, “The war is over! We beat Japan last night!”
Matt looks over to Liz who is sobbing from happiness, grabs and gives her a kiss that they both will remember forever.