A Walk Around the Football Field | Teen Ink

A Walk Around the Football Field

November 20, 2017
By mmcn1 SILVER, Audubon, New Jersey
mmcn1 SILVER, Audubon, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"You can't be sad when you're laughing, so just laugh," -Mia Nixon


 Varsay Catholic High School’s most important football game was against their rival Penza High School. It was a cool night on September 15th when the two schools played against each other at Varsay Catholic. The bleachers on each side were entirely full, loud, and overwhelming with school spirit.

 

However, one girl in the Varsay Catholic stands was not very amused. She cheered when everyone else did, pretending to understand the game, as she played in the pep band. Finally, half-time came, and she was able to flee. One of her friends, Blair Elgart, was standing under the scoreboard with two boys from the other school.

 

“Grace, are these your Penza friends?” she asked.

 

“Yeah from grade school,” Grace explained to her.


Both boys were tall. One of them was tan, had dirty blonde hair, and introduced himself as Mike. The other had black hair, and seemed more reserved.


“Chase,” he shook her hand.


“I’m Cara,” The two were immediately attracted to each other. After some small talk, Grace and Mike left Cara and Chase to themselves. “Do you want to walk around the football field?” she asked.


“Sure,” He replied. The two rivals walked side by side pass the bleachers. “It’s weird not playing in the band for a game,”


“That’s where I just came from,” Cara smiled. “What do you play?”


“The piano and percussion,” He told her. Cara played the piano and clarinet. “Oh no we’re losing!” Chase exclaimed once he looked at the scoreboard.


Cara shrugged, “I’ve never been a fan for football,”


“Really?” Chase said. “Why’s that?”


“Always thought it was boring. They start and stop then start and stop. It’s just tedious to get a touchdown,” Chase laughed at Cara’s explanation. The two came back to where they started and decided to stand in place. They discovered more things in common such as both having dry senses of humor. After a few more minutes, the band began playing. Cara’s eyes widened, “It’s the fourth quarter already?” He nodded. “I have to go back,” their smiles faded. Before Cara turned around, Chase asked for her number. Cara reached for his phone, then stopped herself. “I’ll give you it the next time I see you,” she answered with a grin.


With a little embarrassment, he agreed. The first girl he asked for a number didn’t give it to him. Before he could say anything else, Cara was already walking back to the stands. After the game, Chase tried to find her, but didn’t have any luck. For days he thought about Cara. He remembered how her brown hair just flowed, and how her green eyes enticed him. He even couldn’t stop hearing her childish laugh. He knew it was silly of him to be so attracted to a girl he just met, but no matter how hard he tried, Chase’s feelings wouldn’t go away.
As Chase walked through the library one day, he passed his friend Neil. “I heard you know Mia,” Neil said to him with a suspicious grin. Chase stopped walking, and turned around. Neil was too far ahead for Chase to respond. At the end of the day, Chase caught Neil walking to his car.


“How do you know Cara?” he asked him.


“We work together. She asked if I knew who you were,” A feeling of excitement rushed over Chase. “Did she say anything else?” Neil smiled, and went into his car, ignoring the question.


Chase wandered when he would see Cara again. It took them three years in high school to meet, so how could they cross paths again soon? He tried to think of a school event they would both attend. There weren’t any more football games against each other. He remembered she managed the boy’s soccer team. Maybe he could go their game if they versed Varsay Catholic.


Two weeks later, Chase’s school had another football game, and he watched it as he played in the band.
A group of girls stood near him in the stands. He heard one of them say, “Oh my friend Cara is here,” His heart skipped a beat. He couldn’t see her in the bleachers on either side, but still believed the girl mentioned the Cara he met and thought about. Chase excused himself from the band, and rushed down under the stands. There were a lot of students, some who tried to talk to him. It was dark making it hard for him to point out faces right away. Soon, a girl with shining blonde hair naturally made herself stand out to Chase from everyone. He smiled finding Cara right beside her. Cara said something to her friend making her look over, and walk away.

As Cara and Chase approached each other, hearts beating fast, he asked, “Do you want to walk around the football field?”


The author's comments:

Based on a true story