2 Lives 1 Girl (Chapters 1, 2, and 3) | Teen Ink

2 Lives 1 Girl (Chapters 1, 2, and 3)

July 19, 2012
By Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
40 articles 1 photo 769 comments

Chapter One: The Poor Life


Alana Walker, that’s me, a friendless freak, that’s ugly. What a great life huh? I have lifeless blond hair, cold blue eyes, and pale skin. My hair is usually all in my face, I like hiding behind it, though that doesn’t stop the bullies.

I’m an orphan, Jude Bachelor takes care of me. Well, kind of, she usually yelling at the other orphan kids to stop destroying everything. Seriously, I think I’m the only who listens to Jude.



I feel bad for Jude because she has to stay at home and watch the other kids since their all to young to be going to school, while I’m at school. Though school isn’t to pleasant either. I would take spending my day with a bunch of whiny kids over bullies any time!


“Alana! The school bus is here! Come and get your lunch! Hurry!” Jude yelled at me.

I sprinted down stairs, and swiftly grabbed my lunch and ran to catch the bus. I saw unsmiling faces from the bus windows, and got on.


“Get a seat” the bus driver said automatically. I just went past, and hurriedly sat down at the fifth seat.

“Hey Alana, wow I love what you did with your hair! it looks different! Oh wait, it doesn’t” Dana Barth, laughed with her friends.

Shes a snobby, though very beautiful brunet. I hunkered down in my seat and prayed that the bus ride to school would be quick.

The next stop was a guys house. In fact it was the house of my crush, and Dana’s boyfriends house. He was the considered the hottest guy in school, and that was enough for Dana. She always goes for the hottest guys, everyone admires her. I hate her guts,


My crushes name was Derick Ledge. He had shiny black hair that was actually pretty long, big gray eyes, filled with long lashes. He had milky white skin, and had a muscular figure.


He climbed on, wearing a thin t-shirt, and black jean, and a black backpack. He gave me a smile and waved at me.

Unlike snobby Dana, he was actually very nice particularly to me. He didn’t seemed to mind me, which of course Dana hated.


I smiled and waved back at him, Dana gave me a killer glare.

“Hi Derick!” she said in her sweetest voice.

“Hey” Derick barely glanced at Dana, and then stopped at my seat. I looked up into the beautiful gray eyes.

“Do you mind if I sit here?” he asked, still smiling at me. Out of the corner of my I saw Dana’s jaw dropped.

I nodded, and smiled like a moron. I turned away a little embarrassed, and also trying to cover my excitement. I knew he could have picked any seat besides mine. I was just really curious on why he chose to sit next me.

I dared a glance at him, I saw him grinning at me, making him look even more gorgeous.


“Hey, do you think I could borrow your science notes? I wasn’t here last class” he asked me.

That’s when it hit me hard. . .Of course he wouldn’t seat with me just because he wanted to, it had to be for a purpose. I was in his science class and he wasn’t there, he needed my notes, that was the only reason. I sank lower into my seat, as I saw Dana smirked.

I handed my science notes to Derick, and quietly looked out the window, trying and failing to not cry. I crystal little tear went down my cheek. I guess the only think beautiful about me was my tears, I know it seemed kind of weird, but they looked like diamonds. I couldn't help but notice their beauty since it was the only think about me that only struck out as pretty.


“Um thanks” he told me, reaching out to give me back my notes, I took them, and my tips of my fingers brushed his, I suddenly filled with warmth and I almost gasped. He looked up, me staring me in the eye with astonishment. I quickly turned away, and began to stare out the window again. I felt Derick’s warm stare on my back, and felt Dana’s cold eyes on my head.


The bus finally got to school, and came to a halt, rattling a bit. I lurched forward, and my face went into the rough seat, it was very uncomfortable. Everyone began to get up, I grumbling about how the bus sucked and how we should get new ones.

I patted my hair down, and straightened it. Heard Dana snickering on how I was fussing about my appearance. I felt a hand brush my hair, and I turned to see Derick helping me straighten my hair. The snickering stopped abruptly.


“Thank you” I said quietly.

“No problem” Derick murmured back. I glanced at him again, he looked at me with his big gray eyes. I wondered. . .


“Come on!” the bus driver broke me from my stare. I went down the steps, and then I accidentally slipped, I cried out. I felt warm hands grab me before I fell, and I knew once again it was Derick.


“It’s like shes doing it for attention!” I heard Dana say loudly. I felt tears began to form.

I fled off the bus, leaving Derick there calling after me. I felt everyone’s stares as I fled into the girls bathroom, and into a stall.

I used the bathroom, and walked out to wash my hands. I glanced up once I was done washing my hands. I stared at the girl in the mirror, and I wished so bad that it wasn’t me. Cold blue eyes stared back at me, I turned away, and walked out.


“Hey” a rich voice startled me and I jumped. I turned to see Derick leaning up against a wall, he moved away from the wall, and faced me. “Are you OK?” he asked concern filling his face.


“Leave me alone, and go see Dana. I do recall she is your girlfriend” I said harshly, surprising me, and also earning a shocked expression from Derick.

He didn’t know I was capable of saying that. I nibbled on my lip, wishing I could take back what I said, I turned to him.


“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that. I’m just. . . I really hate Dana, and it makes me feel angry when you be nice to me, but your friends with Dana. Shes so mean, and you're so nice” I finally said what I was dying to say but I didn’t have the courage to say.


“You just have to get to know her. . . shes not that bad. . . If you knew what had happened to her. . .” he began, but I cut him off.

“Don’t give me that crap. I’m pretty sure I have the worst life. I have no one. My parents abandoned me, so now I’m lived in a cramped horrible life. Everyone makes fun of me, and I’m so ugly people can hardly look at me” I cried, little diamond tears began to from. I sank to the floor, and buried my face into my knees.

Derick sunk down next to me, and rubbed my back. “I would trade my life for any one's. My life is horrible. I hate it! I hate myself!” I sobbed.

“Shh! Don’t say that” he told me, and rubbed my back harder. I looked up, and into his gray eyes.

“Why are you doing this? Being nice? Or are you just showing pity to me, because I don’t want it. Or are you just faking your sympathy, and trying get a laughable story for your friends and Dana” I shot at him harshly.


He didn’t reply for some time. “I’m doing this because I care about you” he said quietly.

“No one cares about me. No one” I told him, tears still running down my cheeks.

“Now that’s where you're wrong. I care, I always had” he told me softly, he wrapped his arms around me and squeezed. I was suddenly filled with warmth and bliss that I had never felt before. I layed my head against him, and closed my eyes.


I jerked up frantically, and shot up, Derick jumped up after me.

“What's wrong? Did I do something?” he asked hurriedly.

“No, no, It’s just. . .” I began.

“What? You didn’t like it?” he asked.

“No!” I said too quickly. “I mean. . . It’s just your Dana’s boyfriend. I don’t want. . . I don’t want Dana to be mad at me” I breathed out sadly, looking down at my feet.


Derick stared at me. “Maybe I don’t want to be with Dana. Maybe what you said was true, how we were nothing alike” he spoke, staring at me.

I shook my head. “I don’t want you to break up with her just because of what I said. I don’t know anything about relationships, I never had a boyfriend, and probably never will have one!” I cried helplessly, I saw Derick shake his head.

“I’m breaking up with her. Shes not right for me” he walked away.

I stood there for the longest time, then I heard the bell ring, and I frantically ran to class, Dana was going to kill me.

Chapter Two: Lunch, Not to Pretty


I got a lunch detention for tomorrow for being late to class. I was now waiting patiently for my second class to be down, and then to lunch. Though my stomach was all twisted up from what Derick had said. He was going to break up with Dana to be with me. No one had ever broken up with Dana, she does the breaking up. This wasn’t going to pretty.


I was wishing that social studies would last forever. Then the bell rang, luck was never really on my side.


I walked over to my baren table and sat down in the middle of the table. I knew no one would be joining me at my table since I was friendless, so I put my feet on another seat, and opened my lunch. I took out an apple and began to munch on it.

My stomach then lurched. I saw Derick walk over to Dana. I started to freak. . . what if I chucked the apple at Derick. . . I shook my head at that thought. I watch intently.


Dana wrapped her arms around Derick’s neck, he pulled away, and Dana looked confused and even a little shocked. Everyone was now staring at them. I chewed my apple, now sweating.


I saw Derick’s lips move, but heard nothing.

I heard what Dana shrieked though. “WHAT! You can’t break up with me! I only break up with people!” Dana shrieks were high and very unattractive.

Derick shook his head, and began to walk away from her.

“This isn’t over! You are my boyfriend! Not anyone’s! Mine!” Dana yelled.


I stared at Dana, she was crazy! She can’t claim his like that. I then saw Derick start walking over to my table, grinning at me. I just looked at him in horror, he just shook his head, and his grin widened.

I turned away quickly, and began to eat my lunch wanting to get out of there as fast as I could, and into the girls bathroom.


“Well you seem hungry” Derick sat down and looked at me.

I heard Dana shriek again, as she saw as together, Derick laughed. I glared at him, but he ignored it.

I got up and threw away my lunch, and sat on the far side of the table away from Derick. I glanced at him. He was still smiling at me, he got up, and threw away his lunch, he hadn’t even ate anything! I looked at him started as he sat down in front of me.


“Is it just me or are you avoiding me?” he pretended to look offended.

I rolled my eyes, and he laughed a deep rich laugh that made my insides feel like melted chocolate.


“Please don’t be mad at me” he reached across the table and put his warm hand on top of mine. It felt really good. . .


“I’m. . . I don’t know. . . I feel kinda bad for Dana” I started.

“No you don’t! I know you think it’s hilarious! She shrieks like a banshee!” Derick cried.

I started to laugh, and he joined in. We laughed, until I started coughing, and hiccuping. He went over to me, and patted my back. I stopped, and he sat next to me.


I glanced at him, and he was just sitting there smiling at me. He turned away, but was still smiling at the wall. I started to laugh again, and once again we were both laughing like a bunch of idiots together.


I turned to him. “I think this has been the best day of my life” I told him, knowing it was the truth, I had never had so much fun with someone before.


He just smiled and nodded. He put his arm around my shoulder, and pulled me closer,I rested my head on his shoulder. I finally then closed my eyes.
It was the best day ever in my life. . . It was also my last. . .



Chapter Three: Crash

Derick was driving me home, since that’s what friends did. It happened so fast, I was a lonely girl that no one wanted, and now the hottest guy in school is my friend! I could hardly keep my excitement under control.

“So. . . I was wondering if you wanted to go to the movies with me on Saturday” he glanced at me from the road.
I smiled at him. “Sure, I would love that” I told him happily.,I saw another one of his intoxicating grins spread across his face.

I reached over nervously, wondering what kind of reaction I would get if I put my hand on top of his. . . he didn’t flinch, he didn’t even move his hand away, he squeezed my hand and smiled at me again.

We stared at each other for the longest time. . . then out of the corn of my eye. . .
I screamed horribly. Derick swiveled his head around frantically. He swerved around a doe that had been crossing the road. Then all of a sudden I saw a huge tree was right in front of us.
I screamed again clawing at Derick’s hand frantically. He tried to move the car but it was already to late. . .

We hit head-on in the tree. Blinding white light hit me. . . then immeasurable pain. I could still barely feel Derick’s on mine. I felt something crushing me flat. I tried to scream, but something bubbled over in my mouth that had a metallic tang to it. . . I knew it was blood.
I began coughing, and crying at the same time. I heard Derick’s muffled cries to me. I didn’t want to open my eyes, his hand clenched my hand.
The white light I saw was the airbags, that were pressed up against my throat. My eyes were now open, and I looked around.
Derick, I couldn’t see him. A wall of air bag blocked him from my sight. I spit out more blood, and then screamed, as some sharp hit my stomach.
I blacked out. . .

Nothing but blackness was all I could see. It scared me half to death, I hated the dark. I just wanted to wake up. . . then it all came back to me. . . the doe, the crash. . . Derick!

I began to run in one direction. I saw a faint white light. . . I ran faster. It was a white doorway. . . I walked into it, and then gasped.

A man, the most beautiful man I had ever seen. It made me self-conscious about myself.
He had curly brown hair, with the most clearest blue eyes, and tan skin. Though he had the whitest wings, that shimmered. He was angel, I stared at him.
I shook my head, I must be hallucinating.
“Alana, you're not hallucinating” he said in a deep rich voice that I immediately loved.
“Who are you?” I asked shyly.
“I’m Brian, I’m angel here in Heaven” he told me softly.
“Heaven?” I had a confused look on my face, which I knew probably made me look uglier.
I gasped, “I’m. . . I’m dead? What about Derick? Please don’t tell me he’s dead” I pleaded.
Something dark crossed over the angels face, but then was gone. “Derick? he’s. . . fine” he said shortly. “And you're not dead yet. You haven’t crossed over yet. For some reason you get a choice” he looked at little puzzled, but then he shook his head.
“A choice?” I asked him.
“Yes a choice. You get to chose whether or not you want to live or go to Heaven” he said a little wary.
I looked at him. “Why would I get a choice?”.
“I don’t know. That’s for you to find out if you chose to live. You should ask your boyfriend Derick” he said Derick’s name like it was something nasty.
“Excuse me? But what do you have against Derick?” I looked at him, and crossed my arms.
He glanced at me, “Nothing” he said expectantly. “So, what do you chose?” he asked me, staring at me.
I chewed my nervously on my lip. What should I choose? Derick. . . he needs me. . . he must be hurt badly. . . I looked Brian in the eye.
“Derick, I need to know if Derick is OK. Send me back” I said firmly.
He sighed, as if he knew I was going to pick Derick over Heaven. He walked over to me, and then took my hand, his hands shockingly warm like Derick’s. He placed something in my hand.

I held up my hand, it was a necklace. It had a very beautiful angel charm on it. It was gold, but the wings were a shiny black, and the dress of the angel was pure white.

I looked up to meet Brian’s eyes and thank him, but he was gone. Then suddenly I was sucked into blackness again. A whirling pool of gray was before me, and I began to walk towards it, it almost looked like a black hole.

I saw Derick. . . it was a watery image so it look like he was wavering. He was in a hospital bed, staring up at the ceiling, his eyes were hollow and cold. A bunch cords were attached to him. It made me want to cry seeing him like that.

I put on the necklace, and then I stepped into the hole, and was sucked into blinding white lights. . .


The author's comments:
There will be more, I'm making this into a book. Thanks for reading!