Remembering November | Teen Ink

Remembering November

May 7, 2010
By katiepickelsimer GOLD, Dededo, Other
katiepickelsimer GOLD, Dededo, Other
13 articles 2 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love.

-Anais Nin


I never meant to fall so hard for someone.

From the first warm night of November I see him and he is perfectly wonderful in every way. His name is Jason Scott and I adore him.

I’m getting ready for my night out with Jason, when my mind drifts back to when I first laid my eyes on him. I remember when he came to my school in the twelfth grade; he was a bit shy and quiet.

The first time we actually spoke to each other was in the school cafeteria. I was talking to my friends when I didn’t see him walking my way. We collided into each other and I almost slipped, but he caught my arms and held them until I got my balance back. I looked up at him and he smiled. His smile made my legs go weak and stupid me I fall to the floor this time. I was so embarrassed and my face turned red. I wondered if he thought there was something wrong with me, but instead, he reached for my hand and picked me up off the ground. That’s when he introduced himself and from that moment on, we never stopped talking. The clock hanging on my bathroom wall chimes out loud and I drift back to getting ready.

So I’m practically pulled together already. I have on a cream colored blouse, a blue cardigan and jean shorts. It’s a simple outfit and would be appropriate for wherever we are going tonight.

I stand in front of the mirror brushing out my hair, waiting for all that body and bounce they promise you on the commercials. I am still searching the mirror for that sudden surprise of new beauty. Instead I look simple and clean. When I couldn’t think of anything else to do to myself, I went into the living room to wait for Jason.

A couple of minutes have passed and I see Jason through the fanlight window, coming up from the doorsteps. But before I open the front door, I reach inside my blouse and pull up the chain with the little blue pendant heart on it, letting it dangle on the outside of my blouse. The blue pendant heart Jason had given me for my birthday last week.


Jason draws me out into the evening. We walk down to his car, hand in hand, through the cold starry night. He’s wearing a wool jacket with a white shirt underneath and his golden brown hair curling down over the tag of his jacket. He smells fresh, like straight out from the laundry mat.

I know it’s not our first date, but my heart starts to race and I feel chills climb up my spine. And I’m jabbering in my mind to stay calm, but every time I see Jason’s face, I get nervous like we’re meeting for the very first time.


Jason asks me if I don’t mind going to the park, says he’s planning something special for tonight. I tell him I don’t mind. I do want to ask him what’s the plan, but I know what he’s going to say. He’s going to tell me “it’s a surprise and you’ll have to wait.” Eli Khamarov once quoted “The best things in life are unexpected - because there were no expectations.” Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected and meeting Jason is one of those best things.

When we reach the park, he pops open the car trunk and inside are two blankets, hot chocolate, and a lantern.

“So are we having a midnight picnic?” I ask him.

“Well I thought we could do something different and get away from the crowd of people chattering away.” He says.

Jason opens up one of the blankets and lays it on the grassy hill, right under the moonlight. We start to count the stars and sit together, very close and quiet, pretending to read each other’s thoughts.

“You look lovely tonight” Jason implies.

“You look wonderful and this place is wonderful. I never knew how beautiful the park looks at night.” I say.

“I’m glad you like it out here.” He says.

“I love it Jason, thank you.” I say.



He wraps his arms around me, holding me close to him, when he finally says it. He says the three words I’ve been longing to hear.

“I love you.”

“I love you Katelyn Moore.”

I turn to face him and look straight into his hazel eyes. Then I lift my hands to unfasten his hair. I run my fingers through the soft fall. Then he presses his mouth to mine, kindling a fire deep in my stomach. His kiss is so sweet and familiar, like a favorite childhood dish, heavy with happy memories. This is where I want to be, tangled up in his arms.

“I love you too Jason Scott.”


I kiss him one more time and he cups my face in his hands and kisses me deeply. When I let go, I miss it already. I don’t want this night to end, but we have many more days to come and nights to remember, but I will never forget November.

Remembering this one November night was the most amazing night I spent with you, Jason Scott.