Trip To America | Teen Ink

Trip To America

By Rekamon BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Rekamon BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

It was 7:00 AM and it was time for Henry to move to America. Henry did dislike England but, in a way, he still was going to miss it. This was his home, where he was born and raised. Henry woke up, sloppily threw on some clothes, and tried to get ready so that his mom wouldn’t scream at him. Henry was never an early bird, he loved his precious sleep time.

“Henry, hurry up!” Henry’s mom shouted, starting to become frustrated.

Henry, now rushing to try to make it to the airport on time, tripped on the handle of his backpack but quickly recovered. Henry thankfully packed all his bags the night before, because he knew that he would not be able to function the next morning. Henry finished doing his morning chores and scrambled to get downstairs. He walked downstairs just in time to see his mom looking at her watch, frustrated.

“You’re fashionably late, again,” his mother said with a disgusted look on her face.

“You know, you could try to be a little nicer,” Henry said hoping that his mom would ease up on him. 

Henry and his mom quickly opened the door and got into their brand-new car that they had bought the previous year.

“I always have loved driving this car,” his mom said with such pride of just an object.

“Mom, you tell me everyday about it,” Henry said while looking at his phone hoping that America would live up to his expectations. 

Henry zoned out thinking of what was coming and that a new chapter of his life was approaching. Henry’s mom was talking in the background, but he couldn’t help but think about what was going to happen. Questions like “will I have friends” or “what if I don’t even like it there” were like a cloud in his mind and were all he could think about.

“What state are we going to again?” Henry asked curiously.

“Are you serious, you don’t even know what state were going to?” his mother said in a loud and obnoxious tone.

“Florida, Henry, Florida. How many times do I have to tell you?”

“Ok, well at least I know now...” Henry said with a sigh.

Finally, their car arrived at the airport. Henry climbed up a flight of stairs and arrived at a brown small door behind it leading into the London City airport. Henry opened the door and it felt as if his third eye was opened seeing many different cultures and all the diversity there. Henry wasn’t used to seeing other people that didn’t look like him. Henry walked up to the counter where the male receptionist was wearing formal clothing looking too dressed for the occasion.

“Name?” said the receptionist with a somber loud voice.

Henry’s mom walked in front to answer him because he thought Henry was the adult.

“His name is Henry, Henry Martin, please excuse his manners,”

Henry grabbed out his phone to see friend requests being sent to him all over social media. He checked their profiles to realize that they were people at his new school. He hadn’t even met them yet.

“How do they already know who I am,” Henry thought to himself.

Henry accepted all of them reluctantly hoping that they’re decent people. A few moments later it was time for boarding, Henry and his mom grabbed their luggage and walked on the plane. Henry always hated planes, as planes crashed all the time in London, but he knew he would be all right. Henry sat down in his seat and in 5 minutes he fell asleep. He always knew that he was a heavy sleeper, but to him this was a new step.
“Henry, wake up we’re ready to go,” his mom said waiting for Henry to get up.

Henry got up and being half- asleep, walked off the plane and got into their other car which was no where close as nice to the other one. Henry dozed off again and ended up waking in their house. He was so drowsy he thought this was a dream until he heard his mom downstairs. The house was two stories and very large compared to his other house. Today was his first day of school and he was ready. Henry got up at 6:00 am, an hour and a half before school started, and stepped outside. Henry wasn’t too bothered by the warm weather of Florida, but the humidity made him feel as if he couldn’t breathe. About an hour later, he was arriving at school. 

“Hey, are you the new kid,” said a stranger who looked familiar.

“Yes, do I know you?” said Henry with sheer curiosity.

“My name is Bryan, I can show you how this school runs.” said Bryan with great confidence. Bryan was tall and lanky the same age as Henry and looked much older than he did. Bryan also had jet black hair that was down to his eyebrows. Bryan had perfect teeth and almost looked inhumane because of how cut clean he was. A week passed by of school and to be honest it wasn’t bad for him. Bryan showed him around and they got a long well. Bryan turned out to be really funny which made Henry become closer friends with him. Henry got along well with the teachers and was managing an average of an A grade overall.

“Hey, can you come to my house tomorrow,”

“Yeah, sure I’m not doing anything tomorrow,”

Henry arrived at his house the next today right on time. Bryan’s house was at least worth a million dollars as he has never seen someone this wealthy.

“Hey, Henry my parents are out shopping we can do whatever we want!” Bryan said loudly while opening the door.

Henry walked in beside Bryan and walked up a stairway that was straight out of heaven. Bryan showed Henry his room where they looked at video games and other gadgets he had lying around. Bryan’s house was the most expensive house in his neighborhood, as the other houses didn’t even come close to this one. Bryan was playing a video game while Henry was looking at his phone when suddenly he heard a loud sound downstairs almost like someone falling.

“Did you hear that?” Henry said with a straight face.

“Bella, can you stop!” Bryan shouted on the top of his lungs.

Bella was Bryan’s dog, a golden retriever, with beautiful blue eyes.  Around 10 minutes went by, but there it was again Henry heard a loud bang. Henry got concerned, turned down the volume of Bryan’s game and opened the door.

“Bryan, the door is wide open!” Henry said more nervous and scared than he has ever been in his life. Bryan got up, didn’t say a word and grabbed a handgun from his Dad’s safe. The door was clearly pushed in as he remembered Bryan locking it. Whoever the person was that was there knew Bryan and Henry were in the house as Bryan screamed under the impression that it was a dog. Henry stood in front and saw a hooded man with 3 other people beside him stuffing things into his pocket. Henry froze, but suddenly a scream was heard from behind him.

“GET DOWN!” Bryan screamed with confidence.

Bryan fired 3 shots and they all missed but the hooded men didn’t take a chance and ran out the back door. Then after this insane incident Bryan looked at him and uttered the words Henry will never forget.
  “Welcome to America.”

I was inspired to write this piece by my friend Henry Martin who lives in England and will soon be moving to America.