The Old Man | Teen Ink

The Old Man

By Marcus0201 BRONZE, Keller, Texas
Marcus0201 BRONZE, Keller, Texas

The stars shined and shimmered as the old man sat, rocking in his chair. Soon he was going to die. He’s known this or awhile and he just recently came to grips with the fact. He let out a shaky sigh as the moon shone bright through the clear midnight sky. He was content and peaceful, for this was escape from the cruel world we live in. He lived his life free of regret, except for one thing. He’d never told his oldest son that he loved him. It wasn’t because he hated his son, no, he loved his son with all of his heart. He just never could find the courage to verbalize it. He believed that when it came it his oldest son, he couldnt let any wall down that would show weakness. This was because his wife had passed away soon after the Oldest Son was born and the Old Man believed that he had to stay strong for his boy.
    Soon after his son moved out, he remarried and had two children. He’d always told the younger two that he loved them all of the time. This broke the Old Man and the Oldest Son apart for many years. Soon after the Old Man was told that he was going to die, the Oldest son and the Old Man regained contact and the Oldest Son would visit from time to time. Two years prior however, the Old Man’s family suffered a huge loss when his second wife and two children passed away after a devastating car accident.
    The Oldest Son was overseas for military duties when he received the news and couldn’t be there for his family. This is why the Old Man looked at the stars, to relieve himself from the harsh realities of life.
    The Old Man caught a glimpse of headlights in the distance. The Oldest Son was approaching and with him, a pregnant wife. When they arrived at the house, they greeted each other and the Old Man motioned his son to follow him into his room.
“ I know I should’ve told you this a long time ago, but son, I love you from the bottom of my heart. I always have and I always will son.”
The Oldest Son’s eyes began to swell with tears.
“I know dad, I love you too.” the Oldest Son struggled with his words.
“Now quit all that crying” the Old Man laughed.
“You gotta stay strong for your family and most of all, tell them that you love them” the Old Man demanded.
“Yes sir,” he responded
“Good” the Old Man smiled.
He closed his eyes and smiled, every memory playing back in his head.
“I’m very proud of you son” he said as he took his last breath with a smile on his face.

I hope that people will realize that through all of the struggles we will go through, don't forget that there's always someone who loves you.