Overwhelming Love | Teen Ink

Overwhelming Love

By ClarisaWhitener BRONZE, Valley Park, Missouri
ClarisaWhitener BRONZE, Valley Park, Missouri

My body, unknotted in the eno, swayed to a mellow back and forth rhythm; my legs laid one over the other pressed softly against Bri’s. One butterfly flew about my body, not wanting to embarrass myself in front of senior girls or irritate my sister. Slowly bringing my back to an upright position, a wind of cool morning breeze brushed against my body and brought chills to my fair skin. I cuddled in closer to Bri.

Conversations among all 6 girls fell still as Kelsey began to speak: “Is everyone ready to start?”. Bri and I turned our bible to John 1 as instructed, as murmurs of yes spread. She finished reading and everyone took a few inhales to let themselves begin to fully understand the reading. Each breath brought the scent of pumpkin spice latte to my nose; it was arriving from Mary in the eno below mine.

As Ashley began to break the content silence, heads rose from under the walls of hammocks and everyone's eyes strolled along until they met hers. The wind running against me wasn’t as cold anymore. Restating the passage, she delicately explained, “Living in the light is living with kindness in every fiber of your being. Living in the light is putting every component of your life as a service to God and expecting nothing in return. Living in darkness is living selfishly and mercenary. There’s no gray area: you either live for the Lord or for yourself.” I gave a listening ear to each of the girls as they shared their thoughts about choosing temporary happiness over everlasting love. Examples such as choosing a party Saturday night over church Sunday morning, a football game over Young Life Club, and communities full of distractions instead of support were given. The same ideas although in their own ways; words such as love, forgiveness, and prayer repeated in my head.
Sun shined through the crevices of oak trees and the breeze that had continued to brush upon my legs was even warmer now. My heart was beating slightly faster than regularly but not in a nervous way. An unfightable pull began to rise my soft lips toward the sky; it was comparable to the insightfulness that God was working toward my soul through the people around me. Discipling by inviting me to church and different bible studies, texts asking how I am and replies of bible verses: there actions were brimming with His love. Love that seamlessly fills every  part of you and doesn’t leave an atom untouched.

My heart opened to the Lord.

It’s an indescribable feeling, every neuron in my body knew that a reliable God is my safe haven. As bible study ended, the aspiration to live in the light of the Lord didn’t falter. An understanding was shared that subconsciously I knew I would miss more than a few Sunday masses, yet the yearn to keep on this path to Him was weightly. A turning point in my correlation to the heavens was made this day and ameliorated the euphoria encompassing me. The once cool air  swaddled me with warmth.