Narration | Teen Ink

Narration

December 1, 2015
By Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware
Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware
10 articles 4 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but because I knew you I have been changed for good." -Wicked, Broadway


“As people, we always feel as though our lives are the most important things in the universe. This, although limiting, prevents our brains from being overloaded with information of how others live and die. Until recently, it hasn't been able for us to fully comprehend other humans. But now... now is the future. Today, we live, laugh, love, cry, and die together. Let the new age... begin!”


It won’t work.


Hunger, gnawing hunger; it pains me.  It eats away my insides, controlling my actions, my thoughts. My mind struggles to contemplate why any immortal being would allow his chosen people to suffer this way. G-d’s will, they whisper. Just a whisper, full of the horrors seen, one word a year, one breath a decade. To be forgotten all too quickly, to be pushed aside. We stood strong, all through hunger, through death, but no more. The people we were before, the G-d fearing being, is gone, replaced with a machine.


“Splendor, grandeur, all revealed before the new world, the new perspective. Education and food for all. Starvation and abuse for none. There will be no poor. There will be no sick. There will only be people, people united to one common cause- to make the rest of the world as efficient, as productive, as successful as they. “
 

They don’t have the willpower to turn thousands out of their homes and face The Uprising.


They don’t know the pain of finding food every day. They don’t know the pain of watching children die, withering, and not be able to do anything to stop it. They don’t know the emptiness felt in those of us who used to have hope. They don’t know anything about us. Nothing.


“Do not listen to the disbelievers. All they want is imperfection. All they preach is trouble. We still hope for a better world, yet this hope isn’t foolish. This hope is truth, for we take action.”


Their pride blinds them. All they see is a nation of desperate people ready to give up everything for peace in mind. No, we aren’t desperate. We are angry, scared, cold, hungry, tired. We are not just angry. We are furious. And they cannot handle that.


We are fed up with this tyranny. We want justice. We are willing to fight for our future, for our children. We do not fear death anymore; he visits us often. Death is gentle. He is careful with our children and our parents, our elders and our young. He is the only one who has, through good times and bad, held His gaze steadfast on us. He never fails. We will come to get them, mark our words. We will come, and when we do, we will not bring mercy. After all, where is their mercy with us? Why else would we be so well acquainted with Death?