Not Mine to Keep | Teen Ink

Not Mine to Keep

September 18, 2015
By mbryant GOLD, Midlothian, Virginia
mbryant GOLD, Midlothian, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"And this is the moment before. The moment when everything is still familiar and understandable. The moment before everything shifts."


Not Mine to Keep
She just laughed with her voice full of honey and everything I’d never had.
She finally took everything from me and I would never be the same.
I watched the clock slow but all I wanted to do was close my eyes and sleep for a while.
Where they my eyes now? Had she taken everything that I had ever known?
I was no longer my whole self standing stripped down to the core in front of her.
Pieces of me would keep leaving and there’d be nothing I could do to stop it except to put a bullet in my skull.
I wanted her laugh and everything it held, everything it had stolen from me.
I wanted the endorphins in my brain to lie to me and make me feel like I was okay.
Yet, I was not okay and that laugh would never belong to me.
I will listen to it until my ears bleed and my chest begs for me to take a breath of my own.
Once the light within me extinguishes and my shell is doubled over and numbed from the sound of happiness, maybe then she’ll cry.