Enough is enough | Teen Ink

Enough is enough

By Glykeria BRONZE, Baroda, Other
Glykeria BRONZE, Baroda, Other

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times,If one only remembers to turn on the light.

While Marguerite Theophil visited some temples in Bali , everyone was handed a sash to wrap around his/her waist. This was a symbolic gesture of 'containing the appetites' while one prayed which indeed is a beautiful reminder to ask for what is really needed and not more.

As residents of this globe, we should avoid a stock piling mentality, where we mish to end up with a lot more than other perhaps leaving with less or with nothing at all.

When it is spoken of 'enough' most people link it with deprivation. Contentment , a way of understanding enoughness is not deprivation but is about being happy with what one has.

There is this tale of Mullah Nasiruddin teaching us about enoughness . Nasiruddin's neighbour once lamented , " I am really having trouble fitting my family in this small house. My wife , 5 children , my mother-in-law and I share this same cottage. Do you have any advice for me?" 

"Ofcourse. Do you have any animals?"

"Yes . Ten chickens, a donkey and a goat."

"Take the chicks in" insisted Mullah. "But" the man protested, "our house is already full". "Just try it."

The man did it in order to find solution to his problem. The next day he complained that with the chickens inside , their house was impossible. Mullah told him to bring in the donkey as well as the goat too. The man was bemused but followed his instructions as he knew that Nasiruddin was no fool. The next day he came to Mullah again , all weary and tired, and told him that it was impossible for him to sit , sleep or work. Now Nasiruddin told the man to take out all he animals from his house. The man followed and did as he was told and the next day he stopped by Mullah Nasiruddin's place and declared: " Mullah , you are a wise man indeed! My home feels very spacious that we all feel very pleased with it and are really contented. No more complains!"

The story summed up the point. The Ratan Tata tweet does teach us much if not exactly the same lesson. Today, we lack resources and wasting them unnessarily is of no use.

Having no idea that enough is enough is not enough

and knowing that enoughis enough is more than enough.