Go Against The Grain | Teen Ink

Go Against The Grain

January 16, 2015
By ShaunMcKinnonQb1 BRONZE, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
ShaunMcKinnonQb1 BRONZE, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every man at some point in his life is gonna lose a battle. He's gonna fight and he's gonna lose. But what makes him a man is that in the midst of that battle, he does not lose himself."
-Eric Taylor


I was doing really well but I missed my wife terribly. So I decided to surprise my wife for her birthday, I had said I would not be home for it originally. She said it was okay but I knew she was a little upset. So I went to the general manager and I got the night off. I knew I had to be home for her. She needed me. I was so excited to see her reaction when I came through the door, I had flowers and I was wearing the shirt I wore on our first date Five years ago. I also bought her a beautiful diamond necklace, I knew she was just going to love it. As I pulled into my driveway I noticed there was a rental car. I thought to myself, she must have backed up into the light pole. again. It was okay, I loved her. I walked to the front door and I knocked even though it is my own house. It took a while for her to come to the door.
“Hey,” she said.
“Surprised to see me?” I said.
“OMG yes,” Carrie said.
She kept looking over her shoulder. Weird, I think, and she hadn't invited me in yet.
I hear a very low noise from upstairs.
“Carrie babe, who is it?” said a voice.
Storm? I think.
Carrie tried to talk but I shut her down.
“Are you kidding me? My tag partner, James Storm!” is all I can bring myself to say.
“It was only this one time I promise,” Carrie said.
“Your promises mean nothing to me anymore,” I said.
I ran up stairs and started pounding on Storm.
I broke his nose and he broke mine.
Storm is a great fighter, but nobody is it better than me. I dragged the bloody Storm down stair and threw his body out the front door.
I took my ring off and threw it down at my former wife.
I tell Carrie to get the hell out of my house and lose my phone number. She stands there. I point.
“Out!”
What a waste of time and money is all I can think about, and as I do my tag team partner left in his rental like the wimp he is.
“You are a coward, Storm. Come and fight me for real,” I yelled.
“Matt, calm down,” Carrie said.
“You are joking, right? I take time off to come and see you on your birthday and I find you in bed with Storm. You have the nerve to tell me to calm down? Get out of my sight”
As I said these words to my wife, my heart sinks. Did I just say that to my wife?  I know she cheated on me, but I loved her, and she was the best thing to ever happen to me. We shared a life together. I started to feel bad, but and then I thought she was just in bed with Storm.
Something inside me spoke and I looked at her.
“Carrie we need to talk” I said.

“Matt, I am so sorry and if you never forgive me I completely understand. I was just so lonely with you being on the road and he came on to me so I thought it would just be once and it would be over.”
“Wait, it was more than once?!” I said.
“Yes, Matt, it was,” said Carrie.
Now I could see all of it, and yet, Carrie stood in front of me and I knew I had the biggest decision I could ever make.