Imaginary Friend | Teen Ink

Imaginary Friend

November 24, 2013
By Tayloki GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Tayloki GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The clattering and banging of dishes in the kitchen shattered the thick veil of silence covering the expanses of Suzie's bedroom. A thin, frantic line had slashed through the page of carefully thought out words and poor punctuation she had been working on throughout the evening. She absolutely hated how skittish she was, and how easy it was to startle her. Now the essay she had been nearly finished with was ruined - or so it seemed. Little issues such as this tend to be blown way out of proportion when you realize you only have such limited time to complete the task at hand. She quicky chided herself for deciding that procrastination was the best option, here.


"Why did I have to be so stupid..!" Suzie scolded herself inwardly, "I could have had this done a week ago!"


Another crash pierced the quiet surroundings. Suzie glanced over at her bedroom door, her eyes wide with fear. Was someone trying to break in? Had someone already broken in? She had no idea whatsoever. In her mind, a second Suzie was slapping a third Suzie right across the face. Maybe since she was caught up in her work, she completely forgot to lock all the doors and now she was paying for such utter stupidity. She was a seventeen year old girl - what sort of chance did she possibly stand against an intruder who could be twice her size?


Now the loud, yet soft sounds of humming emanated throughout the house. Suzie pushed herself up from her small desk, and took hesitant baby steps over to her bedroom door. She pressed her ear against it, trying to listen for any more suspicious noises. It was beginning to sound a lot like someone was making dinner downstairs; but it was long past the time for that. The humming began to grow slightly louder, and it was becoming extremely unsettling.


Suzie slowly crept out of her room, and made her way over to the stairs. Each creak of the floorboards beneath her feet caused her to wince, and she anticipated a large man to jump out at her at any moment and plunge a knife right between her shoulder blades. A quick, clean death is what she hoped for, at least. If that wish couldn't be granted, then she prayed her killer would be so kind as to dig a nice grave for her. That was the absolute least they could do.


"Goodbye, cruel world." Suzie thought solemnly, "The past seventeen years have been pretty cool, I guess."


As she finally tiptoed over to the kitchen, the sound of running water grew louder. With her body pressed close to the wall, she peeked around the corner and into the kitchen. There stoo an ominous figure, dressed in a white and black, checkered suit, leather shoes, and with slicked back hair that sone bright from the overuse of expensive styling gel. A smirk tugged at one corner of his lips, before he turned his head to watch the timer on the oven.


"Are you surprised, my dear?" the figure spoke quietly, his eyes suddenly gazing into hers.


Suzie could do nothing but stare at him. She probably looked like the biggest idiot on eart right now, but that didn't matter. He was back! He came back for her, just like he promised! As an overwhelming sense of elation rushed through her, she could not help but to bounce over to the mysterious man and wrap her tiny arms around his larger figure.


"You came back!" she squealed, "You really did! Dr. Death, you're back! You came back to me!"


A soft chuckle rumbled throughout his chest, as he patted her back. "Of course I did, dear, I never go back on my promises. Did you truly think otherwise?"


Suzie peered up at him timidly, her eyes slowly roaming over his face. She observed his every feature, even the ones others would consider odd, or even ugly. Specks of scars decorated the left side of his face, and his eyes were sunken in; it made him look more mature to her, like he had experience. His smile was also rather peculiar, but it was beautiful this way. She felt safe in his arms, with the way they held her close, and how he towered over her smaller body. She had missed his constant presence at her side. Dr. Death was the only real friend she felt any connection to, because he was a part of her. He was her imaginary friend.