Tears and Raindrops | Teen Ink

Tears and Raindrops

By Chloe Donohue-Ramirez BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Chloe Donohue-Ramirez BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

My body turned to ice as the wind nipped at my bare skin. The left leg of my jeans had stiffened from the dark crimson liquid that had dried there. My knees connected with the wet pavement as the chaos unfolded around me. I tangled my hands in my soaked hair and let my tears fall. I watched everything like I was watching a movie instead of my life. The red, white, and blue lights of the emergency vehicles were the only illumination in the shadow of the night. Their reflection in the road mesmerized me. Seconds passed, feeling like hours. I saw all of it in slow motion. My father restrained my mother as the paramedics pulled a lifeless body from the wreckage of metal. I held my breath as they tried to revive the girl. Still on my knees, I prayed. I begged for her to be okay. After several failed attempts, they stopped trying. I saw one look at my father and shake his head while I distantly heard the dreaded words. “Time of death, 11:41 pm.” I covered my mouth with my hands, hoping to stop the scream that threatened to leave my body. I could tell it didn’t work when the bystanders, who had gotten out of their cars, averted their attention to me. My entire body filled with rage and confusion and hurt. I dropped my hands to my lap and looked up at the sky. The moon and stars looked back at me as I felt the raindrops hit my face. I looked back towards the girl on the pavement. I stood up and limped over to the body. I looked down at her, her skin snow white against the black pavement. Despite the blood, she looked like her normal self, dressed in her favorite pink sundress and her hair perfectly curled. I watched as the rain began to wash away the blood leaving just a scar on her head. Even with all the crying and screaming, I heard nothing except the haunting echo of my sister’s laugh. My dead sister’s laugh. The paramedics started taking her body away. That’s when I lost it. I don’t even remember what I said. I just screamed. I yelled at anyone who dared go near her. I think I even slapped one of them. Suddenly I felt a jolt in my leg, telling me that I had ignored the pain for far too long. I had underestimated the injury to my leg and felt myself start to fall but I never felt the pavement. Instead, I felt strong arms wrap around my waist and pull me up straight. I looked at the boy who had saved me from possibly another injury. He had short brown hair and the most beautiful blue eyes. He looked way too young to be a paramedic so I figured he must have been a bystander who saw me falling. He picked me up, knowing that my leg couldn’t support my weight anymore and he handed me to someone who put me on a stretcher. I took one last look at him before I blacked out.