They Say it Builds Character: Preface | Teen Ink

They Say it Builds Character: Preface

By emmylove BRONZE, Saline, Michigan
emmylove BRONZE, Saline, Michigan

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

My dad was a dirty liar. He was a liar and a thief. That was why I left. Well, that, and other things, but it was mostly just because of my dad. Thing is, this story isn’t about my dad. He’s not even going to be in the story, to tell the truth. It’s about me and me alone. Sure, there are other characters. Heck, there are lots of characters. Possibly more than you can handle; they’re all necessary in the long run. Just remember that, no matter how many different people are contributing to Everything, this is a story about me.

Why?

Because I’m selfish like that sometimes. This is one of those times.

And to be fair, I am the one narrating this, so one would most likely assume that it would be about me anyway.

But I digress. Let’s start from The Beginning. I’ve heard that’s the best place to start in most cases.
The Beginning does not start with a fight between my parents, which happened quite often by the way. It does not start during the dialogue between my mother and I where I share the news of me running away to live with Stupid Sister and Uncle in Freezing Fordice. It’s not even when I am in Uncle’s stereotypical-for-a-farmer-even-though-he’s-not-actually-a-farmer Ford pickup truck with Uncle, staring out the window, thinking about my new life. That’s where these stories usually start. But not me. Not this story. The Beginning starts when Stupid Sister’s name is changed to Slutty Sister, and when things in Freezing Fordice get interesting for the first time in a long while.

This is just the Preface, so it's a bit shorter. I plan on posting this story in chapters. Hope you like it :)

emmylove BRONZE, Saline, Michigan

I'm not actually going to post this in chapters :P I decided to change it a lot, but I still hope you guys like it!