Shipwrecked | Teen Ink

Shipwrecked

By cassieborino BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
cassieborino BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey

I jumped out of line and frantically beckoned for a cab. I threw my things in and gestured for him to step on it.
You’re not going to make it. She’s gonna die; alone.
These thoughts over took my mind as we pulled out of the dock. It took only minutes, hours until we finally reached the hospital.
“My name is Patricia Reddington, where’s my sister…”

***

I see the yellow ray of light beaming into my room.
Is it that time already!
I trudged out of my bed and threw on my slippers, then hobbled down stairs.
While making my usual breakfast of coffee and a muffin I see something out of the corner of my eye. “May 31, 1911- your vacation awaits”. I picked up the pamphlet.
Vacation get-away grand opening; largest ship in the world; fine dining; great service and much more!
“Why not? What could be any worse.” I looked at the calendar date, May 28th, 1911.

Stumbling back up the stairs, I pulled down the rusty ladder leading to my attic. Boxes upon boxes of old holiday decorations were sprawled across the floor. Finally I found my old, patched suitcase lying underneath some old table cloths. As I struggled trying to free it from it’s cage, something fell from one of the boxes. I picked it up only to see a picture of me and my younger sister standing in front of what seems to be our old elementary school. I remember the excitement on her face as a little kindergartener going into a school with her big sister. I haven't seen her since I started college two years ago. A rush of emotions spread over me as I gently place the frame back in the box and lugged my old rugged suitcase down the stairs, through the hall and onto my bed.
I look at my address book.

Sue Reddington- 16 Baker Ln
I pick up my pencil and start writing.
Dear Sue,...
I lay the pencil back on my desk. I can't just send her a letter. I NEED to see her.

I let the guilt escape from my mind and then get back to work. I scurry over to my closet and open the door. Nothing but hangers- typical. I go over to my over flowing laundry and sort out my clothing into baskets.
After two days I finally decided I packed enough stuff. Looking around my disheveled room, I imagine all the fun I'm going to have. Maybe, i'll finally meet… the one. I plopped down onto my bed and let the blanket of exhaustion cover me.

Ring! Ring! I slumped over and smacked my alarm clock right off of my bed side table. I scan across my room and noticed the jumble of luggage waiting at my door. Today is the day! I quickly scurried out of bed, threw on my yellow sundress and my hat then grabbed my things and dashed out of my room.
I walk out into the big city of New York and call for a cab. I shoved all of my things in and then headed for the dock.
As I got there, I saw a line of people wrapped all the way around the sea-side. The boat that towered over all of them was gorgeous. It had huge pillars that reached for the sky and a long body that stretched so far, the end of the outstretched line couldn't reach it. All of a sudden
Ring Ring
I see the telephone booth shaking as the phone vibrates. I go inside and pick it up.
“Hello?”
“Hi, this is Dr. Berino, may I speak to Mrs. Reddington please?” he exclaimed
“This is her speaking, what's the problem?’
“It’s your sister,” he nervously muttered, “she has come down with something and she wants to see you, if I were you, I would hurry!”

***

“Ma’am, I’m going to need you to calm down please. Wait over there in the waiting room for your name to be called,” the woman gestured.

I couldn’t still. My heart pounded and my hands were shaking like an earthquake. I felt like my lungs were tied in a knot. All I could think about is the pain she must be in. How shes… alone.

“Patricia Reddi-”
“Yes thats me. Where is she?”
“Follow me,” she beckoned
As I trailed behind her, turning corridor after corridor we finally got to her room. I saw her sitting there, as white as a ghost, face all sunken in, and the wires and tubes all attached to her. I slowly make my way over to her bed.

“Wha… What happened?”

“ Relax, I’m still alive aren’t I,” she smirked
“Your sister has seemed to come down with some type of virus that is attacking her heart. She is stable for now but we don't know what the future holds for her yet” the doctor hesitated.
I struggled to take a breath. Is this really it. After all these years, you're seeing your sister in the hospital. I look over and see her smiling face.

The hours were long and the treatment hard, but each day my sister grew stronger. Three days have past and as normal, the franticness of the hospital began. However, today was different. The doctors were scrambling and the nurses had a look of shock on their faces. Something doesn't seem right. I picked up the newspaper from today and carefully read each word.

“Terrible accident on Titanic cruise ship, over 1,500 dead,” I read outloud.
I took in those words like a blow to the stomach. My face felt hot and I had a lump in my throat.
“What’s wrong, did you know anybody on the ship?” my sister questioned
“Uh… I was s...supposed to be on that boat,” I quivered
“Wait what…” my sister screamed
“I was at the dock about to head into the ship when the phone booth started ringing and that's when I heard about you. I jumped into a cab and then came here.”
We sat in silence, staring at the news article in complete shock.

The next week, my sister was finally released from the hospital. As we were walking out of the lobby I turn to Sue.
“Who knew,” I smiled as I grabbed her hands, “that the girl I came to save, ended up saving me.”
A tear streams down her face as I continue staring deep into her eyes, pondering these thoughts, wondering what life has to offer for me, for her, for us.

I wrote this peice for the Scholastic Writing Contest and got honorable mention out of over 40,000 applicants.

on Jun. 30 2017 at 4:08 pm
df2bawesome SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Miracles are like pimples because once you start looking for them you find more than you ever dreamed you'd find" ~Lemony Snicket

Great piece! I especially loved the line, "Who knew,” I smiled as I grabbed her hands, “that the girl I came to save, ended up saving me." Nicely done