Incaged (Part 2) | Teen Ink

Incaged (Part 2)

By GirlGenius SILVER, Oakland, New Jersey
GirlGenius SILVER, Oakland, New Jersey

The question for today is* : If you could solve any world crisis right now, what would it be?
(*-GirlGenius's favorite quote)

It has been a few weeks since that visit. The visit that claimed that I was to be executed sometime this week. But I don't care. I would rather be dead.

Rats scurry around my body, but I don't brush them away. It was unfortunate I had to deal with them, though I was innocent and hadn't belonged in a cell. But I was more tormented in a dream.

.........................................................................................

I found myself in the market, where I was weeks ago. I relive the memory which led me to this cell. Store owners tried uselessly to shout their about their products over the boisterous crowd, but they failed. I did hear fragments of the fish seller's cries, "Fresh fish... the cheapest... delicious.... fish of the..." The rest was inaudible.

My soon-to-be wife tagged alongside me though the madness. The midday sun made her sliken, golden hair gleaming so bright, I could not see her blue eyes hidden under the light. It blinded me, so I turned away. Her lips curled in a wicked way as I consistently tried to see her face.

"Madeline," I shouted, "t'is day is the day before we are spouses. What special meal shall we have before our marriage?"

She laughed, her laugh with a tint of evil, that I haven't noticed at that moment. "Morris, you said the same words the week before our wedding. Is everyday the day when we have nice dinners?"

I smiled. "Bread is common between the wealthy and the royal. Shall we buy some?"

Madeline paused and considered, "You choose. I have a fondness of cheese... but I have never tasted bread."

"Then we shall have both!"

Madeline stopped before I got to the bread-seller. "Morris, as much as a love this day, I am troubled with the chores to do at home. Perhaps you stay here while I finish my work at our-?"

"Madeline, if that is fine with you, then do as you wish."

Madeline smiled. "Oh, Morris, thank you."

She melted among the crowd and vanished from my sight.

The bread-seller was darker skinned than most commoners, and his smile seemed like pearls dotting across his face. However, his smile seemed mischievious, ready to take any of his customers in.

I eyed him suspiciously and asked him, "What bread shall I get? Any one you prefer?"

"Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes," replied the man, speaking quite quickly. "You see, my bread are the finest in the town. White bread, wheat bread, and, ah, yes, corn bread. Baked with corn powder found from the New World, one my most preferred bread. You see all these bread, and which do you pefer to try?"

Looking at all the bread ignited my hunger. I was about to trade some bread for a few coins when there was a shout. It was indecipherable to me, but the man apparently heard it and scowled, then flashed his smile. "Please hold your moment, good sir," he asked, then disappeared. 
  Instantly after he vanished, a... boy I suppose, though I hadn't seen his face, swiftly ran beside me and dropped a bag of money in my hand in the process. I hadn't bothered to stare at his face, but with the gold pounds in my hands. Then, a well-dressed, obese man started yelling, "Thief! Seize him guards!"

I looked around for the possible thief when three guards came upon me, and two seized me. The other took the bag and started toward to the man.

I was the thief. 

Struggling, I cried, "I'm not a thief! I can't be arrested! I have an engagement! Let me go immediately!"

That was when I saw it.

Last I saw, I skipped over and focused upon escaping. But now, I saw it in detail.

The guard handed the bag over to the man who has accused me of stealing his gold. Smiling, he took it. As the guard turned his back, the man had handed down the money to a person. The person was the boy who dropped the money on me. But I could see it was no boy.

Gleaming golden locks tucked in a commoner's cap, blue penetrating eyes, and a wicked smile as the money became the one's possession.

Madeline. 

............................................................................................

Gasping, I woke up with a start. The rats, scared, scurried away from me. I had seen it now. Madeline had not loved me. She never had. She was only toying with me.

The tears blurred my vision and I tried to keep from crying, but the thought was unbearable. Why? Why?
  Tears flooded down my face as I cried for a love that never existed, and foolishness that clouded my eyes. Bawling, I woke the one that had talked to me on my first day in this prison. He motioned the others to wait for him, and approached toward me.

At first, he said nothing, crouching next to me in the driest corner of the cell; my domain. I did care that he had trespassed my territory; nothing else mattered now. There was nothing as the prison echoed my sorrow-filled cries.

He at last laid a hand on me and asked, "Is it for that girl?"

I only continued to cry.

He set his hand firm and said, "Madeline, am I right?"

"Don't you DARE speak of her name!" Although she never had interest in me, I still had love for her.

"Listen, Morris," he said softly. "It's time to let the maiden go."

"NO!" I cried and pushed him away from me, and continued to cry.

"I need ye to listen, Morris." 

The only response that came from me was my howls of my sorrow.

"Issac Loman, the man that accused ye, or shall I says, both of us, has money. More money than all of we combined. But ye know greed. He has greed. When he gets people in trouble, he somehow gets the fines. He can't do all of these all his own. So he hires the swift to carry out his deeds. That girl - Madeline -"

I shouted, "I said to not speak of her name!"

Then the heavy metal doors sprang open, and Madeline led a few guards in. "Well, hello Morris."

My heart started to beat faster. "Madeline-?"

"Are you crying from the fact that you shall die today?" She cackled her evil laugh. "Oh, Morris, you are certainly amusing. But it pains my heart that my entertainment will be over after you be hanged."

I knew that my life was at stake. 

I was to be hanged. 

Well, you asked for a part 2, so please, I am open to all comments, good or bad, so you can critisize me. Thank you, and remember to rate and share it!