The monster that changed my whole life around | Teen Ink

The monster that changed my whole life around

May 11, 2018
By Maddyspratt BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Maddyspratt BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Every night I lay there, waiting for another day to pass by. Staring at the ceiling every night, it takes away my thoughts. The most simplest thing ever can be so helpful. Mostly when I walk out of my room, I see my mother in the hallway sipping jack with her makeup running down her face. Then my father, sitting in the living room holding a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other. Looking down at my feet covered in black soot from the floors being so dirty. I can’t stand to look at what is going on around the house, I go back to my room and just lay there on my disheveled bed. I wish a miracle would appear right before my eyes.


“Shhhhhhh!” With no hesitation I jumped out of my bed to a corner. Looking around to see what shushed me. Gazing at my bed, a orangish yellow light was glowing underneath the bed. I went to go check it out, but when I got closer, it sucked me in. Next thing I knew, I was falling onto a ginormous leaf. Everything was huge, including the bugs that flew around me were like the size of elephants. It many ways I was disoriented.

Despite the fact that I was lost and not in bed. I couldn’t help but notice that there was nobody here as if I was alone in a big world. For about three hours of feeling alone. I heard a crunch noise coming from behind the tree with a red flag on it. I yelled “Who goes there? Who is hiding from me?” No one answered, I took one loud step toward the tree and a magnificent beast popped up from the side of the tree. It seemed to be curious as if this thing has never seen a human before.

The magnificent beast walked up closer to me and put out its hand. I grabbed the beast’s hand and the beast very lightly shaked my hand and said “We have been expecting you Arthur.” Then the beast took me to his place for rehabilitation. He let me bath in a bucket and he gave me some clothes that he sewed while I was bathing. He noticed that my rib cage was showing, so he put out some food for me. I had no idea what kind of food it was but it was green with black specks on it and it tasted super sweet.

Falling asleep in a big knitted blanket on a enormous plate. I can’t believe I was more happy here then sad because home wasn’t as bright. The beast that took me in, told me that he had a name and his name is Gridden. I have heard of that name before in the monsters of legend book. It was about how monsters and human went to war.
I asked the Gridden if we could go back to the human world and show them how good monsters really are. Gridden said that he will never go back to the human world because they will kill him instantly. I didn’t want Gridden to die, so I was thinking about having evidence of Gridden saving a human. The plan to show evidence of Gridden saving a human is, that I will go downtown where the festival is at, then fall off the cliff that people take pictures on and at the bottom of the cliff Gridden will come and save me in front of all the people.

The next morning Gridden sent me back to the human world. I noticed that my room was clean and there was a picture of me with the dates 1950-1958 on it. It seemed as if they all thought I was dead. I looked around the house and no one was there. I grab my bike and headed toward downtown.

Once I arrived to the cliff at the festival, I contacted Gridden to make sure he was there. He replied “I will be there soon.” about the next forty five minutes I waited for Gridden to contact me back. I never got the message. I was thinking that Gridden might have ditched me. I walked back home because I got too cold and I was hungry. I started to feel homesick and wanted my mom. I looked around the house one more time and no one was there. I ran onto my parents bed and cried all night long. I didn’t understand what was going on anymore.

In the evening I went back to the festival to see if Gridden would be there. After being alone for so long I was ready to just give up on life, no one loved me anymore. Not a living soul was there for me. So I climb up to the very top of the cliff and stood on the edge, looked up at the beautiful sky and said “I am sorry Gridden for I have let you down.” I leaned forward. Slowly, I felt a rush of wind all over my body, my ears popped and my eyes feeling dry but wet from the tears of loneliness.


Closing my eyes waiting for the surface to hit me, I felt two warm thick fuzzy arms grab me. I looked up and Gridden looking down at me. I was so happy he was here to save me. Gridden and I hit the ground, but it was a soft fuzzy hit. I jumped up out of Gridden’s arms with excitement screaming “We did it, we did it Gridden!” But then I noticed that Gridden wasn’t moving. I tried to give Gridden CPR but nothing was happening. I grabbed Gridden’s claw and held it onto my cheek and cried. I said goodbye to Gridden and then I got sent to an adoption place and got adopted by this amazing family. I will never forget Gridden, he changed my whole life around.