Fractured Fairy tale Frozen | Teen Ink

Fractured Fairy tale Frozen

“Do you wanna build a bonfire?” Anna sang.
“No” Elsa snapped.
“It doesn't have to be a bonfire”.
“Go away!”
“Okay bye…”.
   For years Anna would ask her older sister, Elsa, to play with her. Elsa would always protest, holding up her glove clad hands and pushing her away. Despite the stifling heat that came along with the days in the Kalahari desert, Elsa always wore her thin maroon gloves, that matched her knee-length red and orange dress. Elsa had become a reserved princess, locking herself in her air conditioned room. She was afraid to come out and play with Anna, ever since she burned her.
  They were playing out in the desert sand, when Anna got as little too close to the balls of fire, Elsa was throwing around in the cool night air. The waves of blazing heat had knocked Anna off her small feet, and caused a streak of her hair to go black, clashing with her wavy auburn hair. Not only did the accident cause Anna’s left eyebrow to be singed off, but it was the beginning of many long, lonely hours for Princess Elsa. Despite, Anna’s eyebrow growing back, her one black streak of hair remained, serving as a constant reminder of the damage Elsa could cause. The fire princess did not play with the other children, in fear of causing them to spontaneously combust. When the sister’s parents had dies, it became tremendously more difficult for Elsa to contain her powers.
  On the day of Elsa’s coronation, the kingdom was buzzing with excitement. People all around the desert were making the long trip to see their new queen crowned. Inside the kingdom was another story. Elsa’s nerves were causing her to burn small holes in her fanciest formal gowns. After slipping on her flesh colored gloves, she slipped into a floor length, scarlett gown, that swayed around her sparkling nude sandals. A long gold chain with a dainty fire pendant laid over her chest. Her father had given her the necklace when she first started to discover her new abilities.
“Elsa! Elsa! They’re arriving, let’s go!” Anna calls, throwing her dainty fists against the wooden door.
Elsa slowly opens the door, fighting the urge to faint, and steps into the hall.
“Wow! You look like a true queen. Can you believe it, for the first time in forever, there’ll be music, there’ll be lights! For the first time in forever, I could be noticed by someone”, Anna gasps, tugging Elsa’s gloved hand.
“Anna, please.” Elsa whispers, shaking her hand away.
“I’m sorry, I’m just so excited! Company is overdue, I’ve started talking to the pictures on the wall”, Anna huffs, “I think you will make an amazing queen, Elsa”.
  Anna leaps towards Elsa, startling her. Before Elsa knows what is happening, Anna jumps back, wincing. Elsa’s eyes travel to her sisters hands, seeing the pale red flesh. The future queen jumps back with wide eyes and a look of horror strewn across her face. She felt her tanned face heat up and she turned darted down the marble hallways, leaving a trials of fire in the place of her footsteps. The anxious citizens of the kingdom were awaiting their queen’s arrival, but as they began to see the fire surrounding her, they all lept away. Children were crying as their mothers shielded them. 
“Elsa, Elsa, come back!” Anna yelled, her purple dress swaying around her ankles as she ran after her sister. Despite her eloquent speed, she was too slow, and the queen of Arendelle was gone.

After six days of awaiting Elsa’s return, Princess Anna set out to find her. With the help of her trusty desert map, and some rumors of the queen’s whereabouts, she set out in the Kalahari desert to find her.
  Two hours of the desert heat later, Anna stopped at small clay hut to purchase some water jugs. It was in the middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of Arendelle. Behind the counter, there was a young man sweeping the terracotta sand from his floors.
“One water jug please” Anna said, plopping hr tired bod down on a seat, wiping the sweat from her brow.
“Sure thing” he nodded, “If you don’t mind me asking, what’s a princess doing on this side of the desert?” He inquired.
“You know who I am?”
“The whole Kalahari desert knows who you are. Word spreads fast, even if it is in the desert”, he said, shrugging.
“So if you’ve heard of me then you’ve heard of my sister”
“Ah, Queen Elsa. It’s a shame, she would’ve made a good queen”, he said shaking his sandy blonde hair.
“Can you help me find her? Surely you’d know more about the desert than I, and I’d compensate you greatly for your help” she begged.
“No can do” he said.
“ Oh please! I’m begging you. I have no idea where I’m going and all I’ve got is this stupid map! Can’t you see I’m begging”
The young man sighed. He couldn’t help but to feel sorry for the girl. After all, the money wouldn’t hurt.
“Fine” he said, “but only because I know what it's like to not have any family”.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”, Anna said, clapping.

So the pair set out to look for Elsa. They left with three water jugs, a compass, and the man’s, Kristoff’s, donkey. They were out in the desert for days before they came upon what looked like a human sized sand castle, with a walkway made of fire. They exchanged looks, not quite sure what they were getting themselves into. Anna was observing the palace, wondering if Elsa was inside when Kristoff tapped her shoulder.
“Uh… Anna?” he whispered.
Anna peaked around his shoulder and saw a small animated fire, with sticks for legs and arms.
“Howdy” he exclaimed.
Anna, Christoff, and the camel looked at each other and screamed.
“You’re a-a-a fire” Anna stuttered.
“Indeed! Princess Elsa made me when she was just a young gal. She named me Bolaf”.
“Oh, well as nice as it was to meet you, have you seen Elsa?”, Kristoff asked.
“Sure! She is up in the palace, singing her little heart away”, Bolaf said.

Anna raced passed Bolaf and the flames of fire to reach the palace. She ran up the stone steps to find Elsa in the top of the Palace, singing.

“Let it burn, let it burn”, she sang, “They’ll never see me cry”.

“Elsa!” Anna called, running up to hug her. “You have to come back, please. The kingdom is lost without you!”.
“Anna, they don’t want me there. They were scared of me. I could’ve hurt someone”.
“No Elsa. They were just surprised by what was happening. You have to come back with us please! I need you Elsa, the kingdom needs you”.

After much pleading, Queen Elsa finally went back with Anna to Arendelle and wore her rightful crown. The kingdom never had to worry about cold drinks, because with the touch of Elsa’s hand, they would be steaming in no time. Every weekend, Queen Elsa would put on magnificent firework shows and even built a small, water resistant house for Bolaf. The Queen, Anna, Kristoff, and the donkey lived forever warm in the kingdom.

IVB BRONZE said...
IVB BRONZE, Belton, Missouri

Create adventures for yourself

I love how the story is just frozen just the opposite way!