The Baseball Field | Teen Ink

The Baseball Field

It's the bottom of the ninth inning two outs, tying run on 3rd base, in game 7 of the World Series. If you get a hit, you win the series; if you don't, you lose the series and your season is over. We've grown up on a baseball field our whole lives and we have come across situations such as getting a big hits or making clutch plays to save runs or make outs. Also, we have come across obstacles, such as focusing to get that big hit or making the play to win the game by knowing the situation that you are in on the field.

Baseball is important to us because we have been playing our whole lives and put in hours upon hours of hard work and dedication to get as far as we have in our careers. Athletes should know how much hard work goes into playing baseball in order to learn what to do on the field. These athletes should know what to do in certain situations by reacting to where the ball goes. This is important because you need to know what you're going to do if the ball comes your way. For example, if you're in left field with a runner on second and a ground ball comes your way, where are you going to throw the ball? Meanwhile, when you're on a team, you can't just play for yourself; you have to be a team player. For instance, baseball is a team game. You have to work as a team by communicating with each other in order to win as a team. Yet sadly, not everyone is a team player. Even I have let down my team by not getting a hit or making an error. An example of this is when there was a runner on second and third base and I tried to hit a homerun when all I needed was a base hit and I ended up striking out, causing my team to lose.

Athletes will experience blood, sweat, tears occasionally painful emotion when on the field playing. When playing on a field it can be hard sometimes, with either getting into a slump or making a few errors in the field. But the more you practice, the more confidence you have without having that fear of messing up and making an error, or not getting a hit when your team needs one. When playing baseball, you need confidence for fielding by not having fear when it's a close game and the ball is hit your way. You need that boost of confidence to make the play. I have had this happen to me plenty of times in my playing career. I have had to make plays in tight games and even championship games to pull it off. It took a lot of confidence and no fear to make the plays. If you take it as a routine play and not think and just play, it will happen. I think that if we didn't make the plays we have in the past it wouldn't make us the player we are today.

In conclusion, the most important thing to me on the field is confidence, which is most necessary while playing baseball. If you don't have confidence then you won't have a good outcome in your games and career and even outside of sports you need confidence in your life. Having confidence in your personal life is like going up to a girl and saying, “Will you go out with me?”. You need that confidence to boost yourself up to think that she's going to say yes. But then you have to be ready for her saying no to you and falling into a slump in hitting. You just working at it and you'll get a hit eventually. If you change then get her to say yes it's like getting a hit, your confidence is back and you aren't afraid anymore. I think that confidence is the key to success. If you don't have confidence, you might as well not be there at the game. You'd be letting your team down. If my teammate is struggling, I would tell them to practice at what they need help on.

Me and my co author were told to write a story about something we love. Since we both play baseball we thought why not write about it? We hope that this article inspries many young athletes but mainly youung baseball players who need that extra motavation. 

Chicklet said...
on Jan. 19 2017 at 10:01 pm
Great article. I enjoyed it and think you have a future in writing. It is becoming a lost art. I think it is great you did this.

Joe rotondo said...
on Jan. 13 2017 at 12:36 pm
Great story 10/10

DebC said...
on Jan. 12 2017 at 11:03 pm
Great article!! Good job!

StephO said...
on Jan. 12 2017 at 10:42 pm
Great job!

Michelle said...
on Jan. 12 2017 at 10:30 pm
Great job!

80sgirl said...
on Jan. 12 2017 at 9:48 pm
My co-author and I. ;)

Tricia said...
on Jan. 12 2017 at 9:15 pm
Great job!

Panther said...
on Jan. 12 2017 at 9:11 pm
Great job!

Bentley said...
on Jan. 12 2017 at 9:11 pm
Good work.. my grandpa is a resident of Canada.. I am still learning English, but I can tell this is very good
10/10 recommend..

JIMMYkol said...
on Jan. 12 2017 at 9:04 pm
Great work