The Proposal | Teen Ink

The Proposal

By RebekahPhillips2002 BRONZE, Kathleen, Georgia
RebekahPhillips2002 BRONZE, Kathleen, Georgia

Dreamer: Never let it be said that to dream is a waste of one's time, for dreams are our realities in waiting. In dreams, we plant the seeds to our future.
~Unknown

The Proposal

The seven o’ clock alarm rang yet again as the nineteen-year-old Misaki Takahashi arose from her warm and comfortable bed to turn the beeping alarm clock off from the opposite side of her room. Today was June 23rd and it was a very special day for the green eyed brunette; it was the two year anniversary since she and Usami Akihko, the all mighty, award-winning novelist author, (not to mention he was ten years older than Misaki) had offered her the chance to live with him when her older brother, Takahiro, and his wife, Nanami (Takahiro’s wife) moved to Osaka for business matters. Around the same time, Usami had confessed to Misaki about loving her the very first time the brunette had met Akihko at her brothers' birthday party.
Fast forwarding to the present, Misaki had just finished taking a shower and threw on a shirt and a pair of jeans. It was currently 7:30 in the morning, an hour before she had to rush to university for her last day of school. The green-eyed youth walked downstairs and into the kitchen to start preparing breakfast for two. For as long as two years living with Usami, Misaki just couldn’t get used to the author’s demon-like aura surrounding him whenever he woke up, especially in the mornings. By the time the young brunette had finished her daydreaming, she had finished cooking the eggs along with bacon, toast, boiled fish, and Usami's favorite, blueberry pancakes. She set everything onto the table and walked back upstairs to wake up the great writer; she creaked the door open slowly and walked over to the sleeping man. The brunette leaned down to whisper in his ear, "Usagi-San, (the nickname she gave Usami) it's time to wake up, I have breakfast ready." All Misaki received in return was snoring; Misaki tried to calmly wake up the older man and after what seems to be an hour of trying, her patience was up and with that, she finally yelled into the author’s face. "USAGI-SAN!! GET YOUR LAZY ASS OUT OF BED! YOU’RE GOING TO MAKE ME LATE IF YOU KEEP SLEEPING, YOU DAMN IDIOT!!" After the all the noise Misaki made, Usagi finally woke up, but he wasn’t in a very good mood. Oh poor Misaki, she regretted that she had tried to wake him up. "Ugh, alright, alright, I’ll get up." is what Usami said when he sat up with a huge yawn, followed by a stretch as he swung his tired body out of bed.
Akihko walked downstairs to the table with Misaki who was almost done eating her breakfast.            
  "Morning" Usagi said,
"Good morning" Misaki replied, "ah, your food is in the fridge if you want to eat now. I have to go to school before I'm late." With that said, Misaki got up and placed her dishes in the sink and before she could turn around, Usagi had surprised the green-eyed girl with a hug from behind. “I love you Misaki," Usami placed a kiss on the girl's cheek; Misaki blushed bright red from the silver haired man's action. The brunette tried to squirm out of the author’s tight grasp but it was no use, "s-stop it, Usagi-San! I'm going to be late if you keep this up!" The older man chuckled and let go of the girl.
"Fine but I'll come and pick you up after school because I have a surprise for you." Misaki lit up with the word 'surprise' and she got excited.
"Really? What is it? Tell me, tell me, tell me!!" All Usagi said was,
"You'll find out when the time comes," with that, he walked slowly back upstairs to go work on another book he has started just yesterday. Misaki didn't have time to stand around to think about what had just happen, she needed to leave now; she quickly grabbed her messenger bag filled with school books, her trench coat, and ran out of the penthouse door as fast as her legs could carry her. While she was running to school, she was thinking what Usagi-San’s surprise was going to be.

No one except Misaki and Usagi (plus a fellow classmate/ best friend to Misaki) knew that she and the author had been dating since Misaki moved into the authors' penthouse two years prior to now. These past two years had to of been the best thing that had happened to her since the horrible loss of her parents from a car accident ten years ago when Misaki was eight, not to mention it was her birthday when her parents passed away. Before the incident, Takahiro was accepted into the university that Misaki was currently attending to years later, but when he heard what happened to their parents, he rejected the school in order to raise his younger sister. With that, Takahiro went straight to work without having anytime to squeeze in anything else but raising his little Misaki and his job. When the brunette was old enough, she wanted to make Takahiro proud of her by going to the university he turned down years ago for him to raise Misaki. The green eyed girl worked very hard In high school so she could make it into the university and when she was accepted into the school, her brother cried tears of joy for about ten minutes straight after hearing the news.  Oh yes, the time of happiness was then and now...

Ten or fifteen minutes passed by while the girl was daydreaming, Misaki didn't know she had arrived to school until she almost ran into one of the university's entrance gate. Misaki jumped out of her memory world to come back to reality and she headed for the first class of the day. As the green eyed brunette was walking to her first class, Sumi-senpai, her best friend/classmate, walked up to her.
"Morning Misaki," Sumi said, "how have things been with you and Usami-sensei?" Misaki groaned in reply.
"Good, I had to practically drag Usagi-San out of bed this morning to eat breakfast; he's the reason why I was almost late for class." Sumi chuckled,
"Hm, sounds like a normal day in the Usami residence." Misaki thought, 'humph, tell me about it.' But instead, all she did was sigh and responded, "yeah." The young adults walked into the classroom and thus began a long boring lecture about the old Japanese literature by the none other, Kamij? the devil...

After what seems to be an eternity, Misaki was finally finished with her last class for the school year. As the brunette was leaving the grounds of school, a sharp red sports car showed up and immediately Misaki knew it was Usami-San who came to pick up the young girl. The author pulled up next to Misaki and got out to walk around and open the door for her. The only words that escaped Usami’s mouth were, “Shall we?” The green-eyed youth lightly blushed and accepted the gesture, "We shall," Misaki sat in the passenger’s side and Usami closed the door and walked back to the opposite side to drive.

One hour passed from driving and Misaki was beginning to lose her patience, the brunette was thinking,  ‘Where the heck is Usagi-san taking me? It seems we’ve been driving for hours; maybe we’re leaving the country..WAIT! I CAN’T LEAVE THE COUNTRY!! I DON’T EVEN HAVE ANY OF MY BELONGINGS PACKED!’ Misaki started to panic and Akihko noticed the change of mood from his young lover.
“Misaki, is something wrong? You seem stressed.” Usami said with a worried glace towards the brunette. The girl shook her head,
“No, I’m just wondering how much longer we have to drive for the huge surprise.” The older male lightly chuckled and pulled up to a beautiful meadow that was located in the middle of nowhere,        
  “Not long because we're here.” The author stepped out of the car and walked calmly over to the opposite side of him; he opened the passenger’s door and held out a hand. Misaki’s face grew rosy pink and took the man’s hand to step out of the car; she stretched her body from the long ride and she saw Usagi walk to an empty swing that was dangling from a tree. Misaki walked over to her lover and sat down onto the swing, ‘Oh my god, my heart is pounding really hard and fast. Oh I can’t imagine what the surprise is!’ Misaki thought. As the two met each other’s gaze, Usagi then pulled out a small violet box and knelt on one knee. He opened the box to present a big, beautiful emerald ring with small diamonds circling around the green stone. Misaki’s eyes widen in astonishment, ‘Oh god..this can’t be happening…can it? Is this some dream and I’m still in the car but sleeping?’ Misaki pondered in her head as a beat red blush grew on her face. Those thoughts were proven wrong, fortunately. Usami looked deep into the girl’s emerald eyes full of lust and love; the man smiled warmly and spoke.
“Misaki, ever since I met you at your brothers’ party, I knew I found my soul mate because before I met you, my heart was a dry desert until you came and watered it with your love. Whenever I look into your eyes, I can see a reflection of us being together forever and I can’t explain it but….your beauty has cast an endless drowning of love and lust on me and I cannot live a single day without you. Misaki, you are the apple in my eye and I promise you, without a doubt, no one will work harder to make you happy or cherish you more than I….” At this point, the brunette was crying her eyes out and Usami grasped the girl’s hand and kissed it, “Misaki Takahashi, will you do the utmost honor in becoming my wife?” Misaki finally had enough time to catch her breath and before she started crying again she answered the question,
“Yes, I will marry you, Usagi-san.” The author smiled and tears were welling up into his eyes as he slipped the stunning engagement ring around the girl's ring finger. Usami stood up and gave Misaki a warm embrace and the brunette gladly returned his hug.

They stood there in each other’s embrace and after a minute, they broke the hug and kissed, “I love you, Usagi-san.” Misaki spoke.
“I love you too Misaki,” Usami smiled, “Lets go home; we have exciting news to tell your brother.” The green-eyed brunette giggled,
“Indeed we do.” With that, the newly engaged couple walked back to the car and started driving home to deliver the wonderful news to Takahiro and Nanami…