The Great Chicken Race | Teen Ink

The Great Chicken Race

By Emmett114 SILVER, Grundy Center, Iowa
Emmett114 SILVER, Grundy Center, Iowa

"There comes a point where you no longer care if there's a light at the end of the tunnel or not you're just sick of the tunnel."-Ranata Suzuki

As the day starts in the paddock, the chickens waiting to be released and run it down the track. Having just rained the day before the track still muddy. The chickens all scraping their talons against the muddy dirt as they prepare for the riders to mount their mighty delicious steeds. As the riders mount their mighty steeds the chickens can’t help but become more and more anxious. The announcer begins to speak over the crowd “and now before the race starts a quick message from our sponsors at Chickens Are Us saying if you ain’t first your food” The chickens and their riders all prepared ready to race. The sun beaming down on the riders swear already dripping from them all.  AND THEY'RE OFF! The announcer says blaring over the crowd. Watching as the gates open and out come the racers. Jimbo Bob riding Mr. C***adoodle Doo in 1st place. Benjamin Spelunker riding Ms. chuckles in 2nd place. Georgina Falentina riding chick Amelia Egghart in 3rd. Finally, we have Jackson Pollock riding Alfred in last place. This is a fine year for the chicken races a fine year indeed. I can’t wait to see what happens and oh my gosh!! As we come around the 3rd turn its Georgina and Amelia Egghart pushing through the ranks and there she goes she just surpassed both Ms. Chuckles and Mr. Cokadoodle Doo. This is a fine year for the races. Arlight coming around the last lap the ranks remain the same and it seems as though Ms. Falentina and Amelia Egghart have 1st place in the bag but wait!! What is happening in the back of the pack. It’s Jackson Pollock coming up fast with Alfred. They’re gaining on Benjamin Spelunker and his chicken Ms. Chuckles. There he goes Jackson Pollock and Alfred take 3rd but wait they aren’t done yet they are gaining fast on Jimbo Bob and Mr. Cokadoodle Doo and it’s Jackson Pollock in 2nd place now what a turn of events but wait he isn’t done yet he is pushing fast gaining on Georgina and Amelia Egghart. Jackson Pollock and Alfred neck and neck with Georgina Falentina and Amelia Egghart. It’s Egghart, it’s Alfred, it’s Egghart, it’s Alfred and that’s the race with an amazing turn of events in first place it is Jackson Pollock and his chicken Alfred in by a gizzard. Georgina Falentina and Amelia Egghart in second. Followed by Benjamin Spelunker and Ms. Chuckles in 3rd. Finally, we have Jimbo Bob and Mr. Cokadoodle Doo in last place. In an embarrassing turn of events, Mr. Cokadoodle Doo limps through the finish line seeming to have broken a leg during the race. It is sad he cannot seem to walk too well however it won’t matter for much longer as he along with the other losing chickens will be making their way into our stomachs in the next few days. That’s the race today folks and what an amazing day of chicken racing it was.