The Ticking Clock | Teen Ink

The Ticking Clock

January 15, 2018
By Anonymous

It was a fun trip home, but Henry knew it was time to go back to St.
Louis. The psychology exam starts 55 minutes after he lands. It takes him 35 minutes to get from the airport to school and he has to drop off his luggage in his dorm first. When Henry arrived at the airport he said goodbye to his family. They waited until he disappeared into the abyss of the airport. He was running late so he had to hurry. He sped through security lines and checked his bags. He finally made it to the terminal, out of breath and sweaty. The ticket stewardess did not seem in a hurry at all. Finally Henry found his seat, sat down and closed his eyes. The plane started to move as the pilot came on the PA system, "Good afternoon folks, we have clear skies and will be landing in Salt Lake City in around two hours." Henry was about to get out of his seat when the plane shot forward, and pull him back into his seat. Henry started screaming for the stewardess, but no one could come over until the seatbelt sign went off. By the time the stewardess got to him, he was freaking out. They tried to reassure him that everything would be okay, but he kept insisting they were wrong. He ran to the back of the plane to look for a parachute, Henry figured there had to be one, and he could just go back to the airport and get on another flight to St. Louis. When the stewardess' strapped him down into a seat, the lady originally sitting next to him came over to calm him down. She said, "it only takes two hours to get to Salt Lake City, you will have enough time to call your professor and let them know what happened." After a long conversation with this lady, Henry felt reassured that everything would be okay. He took his seat and began to doze off.


About 30 minutes later he awoke to massive turbulence. An unexpected storm had started brewing, and they were forced to detour. The lady next to him took off her headphones and tried to put Henry's mind at ease, but a man one row behind and to the left leaned over and told Henry he would never make it. Henry realizes that there is nothing he can do and he should stop worrying, because that will not help. Finally, the plane is about to land. Henry feels good about the situation. When they make it to the ground, and get off the plane Henry takes a look at his phone and is happy to see the time, 11:19. He puts his stuff down and takes a seat. It takes him a few minutes to realize that Salt Lake City is an hour behind St. Louis. The exam would be starting in five minutes and he would not be there, or have given a good excuse. His skin turns pale, and his fingers go numb. He opens his phone and emails the professor as fast as he can the entire story.


He presses send and is called over to the ticket counter where he sees one of the stewardesses from his flight. The ticket vender apologizes for the mixup on behalf of the airline, and tells him he can get him on a flight to St. Louis, complimentary of the airline, taking off in 30 minutes. Henry learned that he has to relax when things go wrong, and like what had just transpired at the ticket counter, things have a way of working themselves out. They told him he would be escorted to the terminal and would be there in time. They also gave him a Visa card to get some food and entertainment for the flight. Right before his flight is about to take off his professor replied to him that he needs to take the test today and can take it at 7:30 in his office. Henry spends the whole flight reviewing for the test, but after all he's been through so far, he does not feel any pressure to take it.


The author's comments:

This story is partially based off a situation my older brother was involved in last year.