Into the Moonlight | Teen Ink

Into the Moonlight

Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio

"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

My fingers brush the rough leather of his jacket as I push myself away from him.  I can still feel the tightness of his callused hand around my neck and I gasp for air. He shoves me back into the cold brick wall, the stone biting into my back.
His strength surprises me. His frame is tall but thin, just a hint of muscle peeking through the leather of his jacket. He takes a step toward me, his grey eyes flashing in the moonlight. I crane my neck to look at him. His jaw is square and hard as he peers down at me, not moving. Fear shoots through my body at his stare, and I swallow hard.

“What do you want from me?” I ask, trying hard not to keep my voice from wavering but not really succeeding. My eyes narrow at his smirk and he takes another step.

“You know.” In one swift movement, his fore arm is pressed against my neck, pinning me against the wall. “I’ve been wondering the same thing,” he says, his voice harder than his face. He presses his arm harder onto my neck, cutting off my air supply. “Don’t worry. Once I’m done with you, we’ll both know.” I claw at his arm, trying to get him to loosen his grip. With that not work, I kick his shin hard. “You idiot!” His shout echoes down the alley and I shove him away, making him fall. I turn and stumble down the alley, coughing for air.

A hand catches my arm just as I reach the street and I gasp, almost screaming, but forcing myself not to.

“You alright, ma’am?” I look up into his almost black eyes and shiver as he tightens his grip. I try to get him to let go of me, even punching him. His grip doesn’t loosen and I let out a small whimper.

“Please. I didn’t do anything.” I try to lunge away from him, but he pulls me close to his chest.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” he says, his voice rough. I shiver as something cold and hard presses into my back. I stare at him, my eyes pleading. A sharp pain radiates from my neck, fading to a dull ache. I groan. “Believe me, Taylor; you’re coming with us even if you don’t want to.

That was the last thing I heard before I went limp and everything blacked out.

My eyes open and I try to pull myself out of the hazy sleep that I was in. My wrists are sore, the rough rope biting into them.  I try to shift my legs, but they’re tied to the wooden chair I’m sitting in. I cough, hoping to get someone to come out of the dark shadows, but nothing moves. Someone had taken out my braid and my black hair hangs in stringy, wet strands, a few falling over my face.

I flick them out of the way, my cyan eyes finally adjusting to the darkness. I pull against my bindings again, but nothing comes loose.

“I see you’re awake,” a male’s voice behind me says. I freeze, my body pulled forward, my hair falling over my chest and shoulders. My hair is pulled lightly to the back of my head and I close my eyes as his rough hands brush against my neck.

“Get your hands off me,” I say, my voice low. He chuckles and steps around to me, so that I can see his face. He reaches over to wooden post, flipping on a light. I wince, turning my head so that my hair falls again, hiding my face and shielding my eyes from the light.

“Uh uh uh,” He says, moving my hair again. I glare up at him. “I want to see those eyes of yours. A natural jet black hair with true cyan eyes? You’re one rare girl, Taylor.” I wince at my name and he crouches in front of my, taking my chin in one of his hands, studying my eyes.

“My name isn’t ‘Taylor’,” I say, bluffing.

“You know it is, Taylor, but if you insist on it, Tor it will be.” His black eyes harden, and he smirks softly. “Quite amazing isn’t it? I know your name, but you have no clue who I am.” Or the man who attacked me, I think, glaring at him. He smiles, letting go of my chin roughly and I shove my body back, trying to get my chair to slide away from him. He stands, slowly making a circle around me. “I’m Xander. Don’t worry, Tor. I’ll keep you safe.”

“Safe?” I burst out, turning my head to look at him, a look of shock on my face. “You’re going to keep me safe? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? You just kidnapped me.” He stops at my right, turning to face me.

“For your own safety. It’s understood that you don’t even know what you are.” I freeze. What I am. I clamp my mouth shut, wanting to ask, but refusing to. “You see, Tor,” Xander says, turning and starting to walk behind me. A small click. I bite my lip as a cold blade is put up to my neck. I tilt my head back slightly, closing my eyes. “I could kill you right now and you’d never know.” The knife is pulled away and a second later, my hands are free. I pull them in front of me as he walks around to cut my legs loose. “But I won’t.”

I stare at him as I slowly stand, using the chair for help.

“Oh? And why’s that, Xander?” I ask, a little sarcasm in my voice. He glares at me, folding the knife back up and slipping it into the pocket of his fur lined coat. His black eyes are outlined in gold, making the iris look a deep, dark brown. His black hair is cut in the scene style. A small smile forms over his pale pink lips, making his pale skin brighten a little.

“Because, if there’s one thing you are, it’s a fighter. You don’t even know what you can contribute to this world.” He turns, holding out his hands. “You could be the leader of an army, changing the world from good to bad in a day.” He turns back to me, walking toward me. Every step he takes, I take a step back until I’m against a wall. He stops about 6 inches away, his eyes studying mine. “You could be the leader of this all.”