Alliance | Teen Ink

Alliance

By alchive PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas
alchive PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas

The best cure for writer's block is...to write

A dead end.
"Where'd he go?"
"I don't know...maybe down there?"
I backed up toward the end of the side street and bunched myself into a ball.
"No, it's a dead end. He wouldn't go down there."
"We better check anyway."
They took another step forward and I held my breath, trembling in fear. Suddenly, another shadow passed overhead and I glanced up to see a girl standing in the entrance to the side street. She placed her hands on her hips and took a step forward, forcing the guards back. I couldn't hear what she said, but on the guards laughed and started to reach his arm around her waist.
The girl dropped to the ground and swung her leg out, tripping him. Before the guards could react, a boy appeared beside the girl. He pulled the second guard to the ground and banged the two guards' heads together, knocking them out. The girl turned and ran down the street toward me.
"Besara'a! We must hurry!"
"What...hey!" Adan snatched his sleeve away from her hands.
"Bahira!" the boy was running toward them, a frantic look on his face.
The girl leaned over me and whispered. "Amir Adan, if you want to live, you must trust me. I want to help."
I searched her face carefully, but she seemed serious, and I realized suddenly that I had no choice but to trust her. I nodded and stood up slowly. The girl took my hand and pulled me toward the dead end. I followed her gaze upward. A rope appeared over the top of the wall and snaked its way down.
"Up," she said, cupped her hands. I reached up and grabbed the rope. It slid down another foot before tightening.
"There he is!" I whirled around to face the guards at the end of the alley.
"Amir, Besara'a!" The girl wrapped a muscular around my waist, placed her hand on the rope over mine and tugged on it. We were pulled up slowly. "Cover!" She yelled as the guards raced toward them and suddenly smoke filled the air.
I saw the boy draw a dagger and slip back in to the smoke. I spent a few seconds worrying about him, but as soon as we were pulled over the wall, the girl pulled me forward. I stumbled after and then suddenly the ground disappeared beneath me.

This is a small section toward the beginning of a story I'm currently working on. I told myself that I would wait until I had more finished before I shared my work, but I decided that I want to see at least if this sounds interesting.