New York University | Teen Ink

New York University MAG

By Anonymous

   New York, NY: If you want to go to a college where campus activities can include sitting in the studio audience of Late Show with David Letterman, watching a Broadway show, or attending a game at Madison Square Garden, your choices are limited. One school that offers all this and more is New York University. Located in and around Washington Square (an area of Greenwich Village), NYU's campus is New York City, one of the cultural centers of the world.

The foremost attraction of any university, of course, should be the school itself. New York University's undergraduate program includes 12,252 students from all 50 states and 120 countries across the globe. The seven undergraduate schools within NYU offer a wide variety of educational opportunities. One can attend the College of Arts and Sciences, the Leonard N. Stern School of Business, the School of Education, the Tisch School of the Arts, the School of Social Work, the School of Continuing Education, and a special, internship-based study program in the Gallatin Division.

The faculty at NYU features a distinguished array of professors, many of whom have won Nobel and Pulitzer prizes, as well as Oscars, Emmys and other accolades. The student to teacher ration is 13: 1 and because many professors live on or near the campus, students have the opportunity to work closely with their instructors and get to know them on a personal level.

The students at NYU can choose from over 250 clubs and organizations to participate in. There are student-run TV and radio stations, student newspapers, as well as fraternities and sororities, and religious organizations. The Greenwich Village location presents students with a multitude of things to do. The diverse music clubs, galleries, cafes, restaurants and theaters, all within Washington Square, provide something for everyone.

NYU has ten dorms that house undergraduates students, and many of the resident halls previously were hotels, and therefore provide a comfortable living space. Parents concerned about how safe their children will be at NYU need not worry. All dorms have security guards stationed in the lobby 24-hours-a-day who take careful precautions to assure that nobody enters a dorm without permission. Greenwich Village has the lowest crime rate of any area in New York City, another fact that should please nervous adults.

Whether you're looking to major in accounting, dance, physical therapy, early childhood education, or film production, New York University can meet your needs and give you the skills necessary for a successful career. Many schools offer a fine education to their students, but NYU adds to that a different type of education, one that can only be achieved in a social and cultural environment like New York City. f


Reviewed in 1994