Plymouth State | Teen Ink

Plymouth State MAG

Plymouth, NH: This past fall I went to visit Plymouth State College. I began this memorable visit with a tour of Plymouth. The town is undergoing many road and building repairs, but contains many beautiful views of the foothills of the White Mountains. Many stores surround the college campus for easy access to necessities.

I then arrived at Plymouth State's campus. Here I attended a seminar about the school. Students described the way the school handles activities, sports, and the student body. A professor from the school answered questions concerning campus security, financial aid, substance abuse, and other topics. The school's 4,000 students have easy access to shuttle buses around campus. The student to teacher ratio is 20:1 while class size ranges from 20-30 students. Choosing one of the 80 majors (including Education, Business, Sciences, Liberal Arts, and The Arts) was discussed with each student. When the seminar ended, the parents and high school visitors divided into groups and were taken on a tour of the campus.

My tour guide who is majoring in meteorology showed my group the science department. I also intend to major in meteorology and was fascinated by the weather instruments and significant weather event pictures on display.

The group continued around the campus. I was able to visit many of the school's other departments including the art, computer science, and music and theater departments. These departments seem to keep up-to-date with modern technology.

The dorms are very spacious. Students have a choice of co-ed or single-sex dorms which contain up to three people. There are two single-sex halls and five co-ed residence halls.

The group then headed for the significant buildings around the campus. The first stop was at the Hartman Union Building which contains a large gymnasium. The lobby in the building is named after Robert Frost who at one time taught at the college. Round's Hall is another interesting site, known for its large clock tower.

I then returned to the Silver Cultural Arts Center. Here I talked to the tour guide about how she prepared for college and if she had any suggestions. She was very helpful, which allowed me to know more about the college.

The campus itself is undergoing major repairs. Many buildings are being remodeled and roads are in the process of being repaved. The school still looks beautiful in the White Mountains, and is sure to look better when the construction is complete. The construction tells me that the school wants the best for its students and will do whatever it takes to improve. f

Reviewed in 1997

i love this !