University of California Santa Cruz | Teen Ink

University of California Santa Cruz MAG

By Anonymous

     Santa Cruz, CA: As you take Route 17 toward Santa Cruz, you cruise down a road with curves right out of a BMW commercial. Towering redwoods and cliffs surround you and though signs warn “Beware of rock slides,” the view is worth the adventure.

Located on the northern tip of Monterey Bay, Santa Cruz is famous for its Mediterranean climate, state parks, and scenic beaches. Entering the city, you’re greeted with a mix of thrift shops, Starbucks and Borders, and local restaurants. Its small streets and shops give it a feeling of community. If you continue to the shore, you’ll see the huge roller coaster that is a part of Santa Cruz’s seaside amusement park. As if the beaches and mountains weren’t enough!

The sprawling campus of UCSC sits on the mountains with incredible views overlooking the beach, boardwalk and city. The dorms and classrooms are connected among redwood trees by footbridges. Students walking to class have to be careful of deer that may be just around a bend.

UCSC is divided into ten colleges, each with its own focus of studies and a strong sense of community. UCSC has great research facilities and laboratories. The biology and health sciences laboratories have recently gained fame for mapping the human genome. Students also have access to the many resources at each of the UC campuses, even Stanford.

The campus has a laid-back, liberal feel. The students were very friendly and willing to answer my questions. The lively student center is a great place to catch a bite to eat, meet with friends, or pick up some gear at the bookstore.

UC Santa Cruz has a lot to offer. With its beautiful campus, great academics and oh-so-fierce mascot, the Banana Slug, UCSC is a school that can take you wherever you want to go in life. See their website: ucsc.edu.