Belmont Abbey College | Teen Ink

Belmont Abbey College MAG

By Anonymous

     Belmont, NC: Nestled in beauty and history, Belmont Abbey is a four-year liberal arts college just minutes from Charlotte. With a student body of 1,100, the school is intensely communal, spiritual, and intellectual.

Founded in 1876 by Benedictine monks from St. Vincent’s College in Pennsylvania, the school is rich in tradition. It is “the Catholic college of the Carolinas,” as it blends the chivalrous integrity of Southern culture with the magisterial teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. Faithful to its roots, everything at Belmont Abbey is modeled under the rule of St. Benedict - Ora et labora (“Prayer and work”).

Classes are taught by both lay professors and monks. With the average class size at 17, the student-professor ratio is a very low 14-to-1. Most professors have the highest degree possible in their field. Since it is a liberal arts college, most of the majors are in the areas of history, English, political science, and philosophy. They are also developing a new sports management department and have a very prestigious honors program.

Belmont Abbey’s campus is idyllic and spacious, with most of the buildings classic brick structures. It also has a grotto, a beautiful monastery, and a cemetery where the monks are buried. Being at Belmont Abbey is special, which is why students from 28 states and 11 countries attend.

If you are looking for a college down South, take Exit 27 on I-85 in North Carolina to Belmont Abbey! You will not regret it. For more information, visit www.belmontabbeycollege.edu.