College Argumentative Writing | Teen Ink

College Argumentative Writing

November 27, 2017
By rhyssharpton BRONZE, Columbia Falls, Montana
rhyssharpton BRONZE, Columbia Falls, Montana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Nowadays, high school students think about college well before hand, whether they’ll be attending a private school, an out-of-state school, or the in town community college. Some are passionate about their education and want to pursue their ‘dream job’, while others think after high school, the local McDonald’s is enough to provide for them in the meantime. High school graduates should attend college because it will help them pursue their dreams, have a more sustainable life, and help with social interaction. College life can be the best experience of their lives for some, while for others, it doesn’t make any difference, and they’d rather have not gone. If the expectation of a well-taught college education is met, then the end product will conclude in a balanceable, good living for that time being. College can provide stable career paths that will lay a foundation for a successful future.


College provides opportunities which could make living a more sustainable life, and profitable livihood easier. First, “Yes, college is worth it, and it’s not even close. For all the struggles that many young college graduates face, a four-year degree has probably never been more valuable. The pay gap between college graduates and everyone else reached a record high last year, according to the new data, which is based on an analysis of Labor Department statistics by the Economic Policy Institute in Washington. Americans with four-year college degrees made 98 percent more an hour on average in 2013 than people without a degree. That’s up from 89 percent five years earlier, 85 percent a decade earlier and 64 percent in the early 1980s.” (Leonhardt). The author exemplifies clear evidence that yes, college is worth going through. By going to college and gaining the information and knowledge needed to get a job, it's likely to become balanced and have decent income to be able to live a maintainable life. A four-year college education that’s taught is proven to become more valuable and is key in the future, unlike if you weren’t to attend college you’d spend more money in the end game trying to find a profitable job that gave good income. Correspondingly, the article (‘Is College Worth It? Clearly, New Data Say’) states, “Since the Great Recession ended in 2009, college-educated workers have captured most of the new jobs and enjoyed pay gains. Non-college grads, by contrast, have faced dwindling job opportunities and an overall 3% decline in income, EPI's data shows. ‘The post-Great Recession economy has divided the country along a fault line demarcated by college education,’ Anthony Carnevale, director of Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce, said in a report last year.” The quotation proves the success rate of graduating from college and continuing onto new and a bigger number of good, profitable jobs, while the non-college graduates income declined, and are working dwindling, unstable jobs.” “Jobs for recent grads are harder to find, and salaries are lower, but that won’t last forever. And in spite of all of this, the data make clear that getting a college education is still a good idea-college graduates earn more, and are more likely to have a job in the first place-and is especially important for some Americans.” (Rotherham). The author explains that a college education should be experienced. The evidence clearly explains that a person seeking a job right after high school and don’t desire to go to college, it’ll be tough for them to find a decent, well paying job. In the end, college graduates are more likely to live a stable, sustainable life that evolves gaining more profit from the jobs they put labor into.


High school graduates will likely make more friends, become better public speakers, and will make getting through college more easy. For example, “It isn’t fun studying alone, and it’s often easier to study if someone is there to help you. Study buddies can not only teach you new studying techniques, but they can also help you take more efficient study breaks and keep you on track — they may even make you Ramen at 1 a.m” (‘5 reasons college social life is important’). The author demonstrates how by making friends and socializing with new people, studying can benefit your work down throughout the classes, and even across college. Additionally, the article (‘5 reasons college social life is important’) says, “Exposing yourself to a variety of social situations, whether it be joining a club, going to a party, or eating dinner downtown with your friends, allows you to develop relationships with people from other states, cultures, and countries. Expanding your social circle will help you form cross-cultural connections as well as develop a greater world perspective. Interacting with people who come from different backgrounds, will teach you more about life than any college course will. There is no better time to expand your social circle than in college.” The evidence points out how influential it is to be exposed to new cultures and different varieties of social situations. Going to college can increase chances of learning more about the world, and the people in it. Not only will expanding the depth of information about different cultures is beneficial for future years, but the whole college experience is the best time to do it. Furthermore, “Surrounding yourself with people who like you for you boosts your self-esteem and encourages personal growth. During college you may be placed in social situations that can be out of your comfort zone and make you feel vulnerable, but if you push yourself to interact with others, you can develop your social skills and build your self-confidence” (‘5 reasons college social life is important’). The author clarifies that if you surround yourself with people who lift you up, and love you for you, then you're destined to succeed in the future. College can make you feel alone and afraid, but by being around your people, they can boost your self-esteem. To conclude, by being around people who raise you up, you’ll succeed throughout college.


College education helps high school graduates work at their lifelong dreams by choosing the classes they wish to take, and pursuing their dream job. For example, ‘Turning dreams of college into reality’, states,“Amare Lovely…He worked to make ends meet and took classes when he could, but after years of slow progress, he put aside his dream of a college degree and joined the Navy. Lovely served five years as a Fleet Marine Force combat corpsman before sustaining a traumatic brain injury when an improvised explosive device detonated during his service. After receiving a Purple Heart and an honorable discharge from the Navy, he decided to return to school. In 2016, Lovely was awarded a scholarship through the Wells Fargo Veteran’s Scholarship Program to resume his pursuit of a bachelor’s degree at the University of San Diego. ‘It just made me feel really good that there’s people out there that care for veterans,’ he said.” This quotation highlights how dramatic the change in Amare’s life was after his life changing crisis. Taking classes when he could, and years of experiencing slow progression, he then decided to join the Navy. Lovely served five years before sustaining a brain injury, changing the way he lived. After deciding to return back to school, Lovely discovered the love and determination into being able to pursue his goal of a bachelor’s degree. Lovely found the motivation to work hard in college, which he struggled with before, and achieved the completion of pursing his set-aside dream. Another piece of evidence that displays hard work and the pursuance of set dreams is, “Catherine Gonzalez attended the Leadership Institute in 2014, while she was a student at Savannah State University. During the conference she participated in a career fair and learned about Wells Fargo’s Audit Associate Program. Gonzalez completed the program in 2016 in Philadelphia, and today is a senior auditor for Wells Fargo in Charlotte, North Carolina. ‘I gained an education, which is most important,’ said Gonzalez. ‘But overall, I gained a career.’” (‘Turning dreams of college into reality’). The author utilizes the importance Catherine’s education is to her. There is clear evidence that Gonzalez worked hard and strived to make a difference in her learning knowledge. Gonzalez not only achieved the high standard of succeeding during her college experience, but by the hard work she put in, she made a career out of her determination. Also, “A college education helps you acquire a range of knowledge in many subjects, as well as advanced knowledge in the specific subjects you're most interested in. It also increases your ability to think abstractly and critically, to express thoughts clearly in speech and in writing, and to make wise decisions. These skills are useful both on and off the job. (Leonhardt).” The quote clarifies the knowledge that can be learned when attending college, and with the material learned, that plays a big part in embracing the opportunity to reach your dream job. If the subject’s criteria is met, then there’s a better chance at doing well on the desired topic, which will make opportunities come up in the future. Therefore, with the right amount of determination and effort, a college education is the right path in order for a successful future ahead.


Although, “All too often the jobs they land after graduating don’t pay enough to make the degree worthwhile” (Reich), college graduates make more profit from the jobs they get after college than high school grads looking for jobs, meaning college degrees that were earned, do come in use for future jobs.  Even if, “They make generous contributions to the elite colleges they once attended, to which their kids are applying — colleges that give extra points to “legacies” and even more to those from wealthy families that donate tons of money” (Reich),
nowadays people are starting to get out of that trend, and contributing hard work in their enrollment instead of paying their way in. While, “They feel compelled to go to college because they’ve been told over and over that a college degree is necessary” (Reich), more and more jobs today don’t require a college degree, that being some are highly profitable jobs that can support that person for that time being.


In the long run, a college education can provide many opportunities in the future including, pursuing dreams, being able to be more social, and gaining a sustainable living with plenty of profit. Pursuing dreams can supply college graduate with a happy living after college, and the desired job that he or she got the support from attending college. The exposement to different cultures and being more social has a huge impact on future job opportunities after college. And, even going to college can guarantee the chances of finding a profitable, stable job after be awarded what he or she wanted to learn. All in all, a college education is the future for being able to succeed in life and gaining the award of a job.