The Weight College Holds | Teen Ink

The Weight College Holds

The college system of today has become the only way way for adults to make a living wage . However, there are people in today? society who encourage students to take an internship over an actual education . While our education system of today is not the best it's essential in order to live a fulfilling life and make a living wage . When we agree that there is a problem it's best to fix it, rather than avoid it all together . This is the problem we are left with today . For example media outlets express outrage towards students who want to further their education through college . With the ever growing discussions like this and the ever growing need for workers with college degrees, the need to address this issue has grown.

While some groups fully disapprove of going to college there are many benefits of doing so . What most people choose to ignore about college is that college graduates earn more overall, live healthier and happier lives in general and that most jobs are pushing for college degree holders . The ever growing need to address this has escalated and the need to look at the facts why going to college is needed in order to succeed .

Firstly there's an ever growing need for well educated students in today's workforce . The facts show that most college students will make more than their non degree holder counterparts, so one must ask themselves why not go to college? According to the Bureau of Labor statistics “The median weekly earning for someone with some college but no degree was 712 compared to 1038 for a college graduate . ” . This evidence highlights the importance of a college degree, just by going to college someone has an edge over others over how much they make . Ron haskins of the brooklyn institution found that “Without a college degree only 14 percent of Americans from the bottom fifth of parental income reach the top two-fifths of parental income . But if they complete college 41 percent of this same group can then expect to make to the top two-fifths . ” . This data highlights the fact that when given the power a college education people can overcome anything including the pay gap . According to “Why Go?” “College degree holders earn 22,000 more per year compared to their counterparts . ” . The evidence states that with a higher education one is able to make more . By going to college one can only expect to receive great things while those who don't will find themselves struggling . So when it comes to a college education it further helps people make comfortable wages to live off of .

Secondly, students who pursue the spoils of education live a happier and stress free life . People with a college degree live overall happier and healthier lives than people who decide not to go to college . For example, “College degree holders are 66 percent more likely to read to kids than non degree holders” (Why Go?) . This evidence remarks that a college degree can tie closer knots between adults and their kids if they pursue college . By simply going to college one can expect closer relationships with their family . According to “Why Go?” College degree holders are ? percent more likely to attend a show or concert with their kids . This evidence highlights that adults with college degrees are more likely able to take time off of work and do something fun with their children . By going to college people don't have to worry about financial issues as much as nondegree holders . “ . . . In other words, children from low income families gain more by going to college than children of the wealthy lose by not going . ”(Actually, College Is Very Much Worth It) . This data further supports why people need to go to college to experience the benefits . This evidence gives even more reason for low income students to pursue college . As stated in the evidence low income people have more to gain by going to college this provides great reason on why one should go to college . One can see that a college education brings families together and creates happiness .

Lastly, a college degree can lead to difference of a higher paycheck . There's an ever growing need for college degree holders . “Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg Microsoft's Bill Gates or Apple's Steve Jobs all college dropouts who are held up as evidence of why all that time sitting in class is better spent elsewhere . Perhaps but it's also worth remembering that their companies are bursting with college graduates . And what about all the people who didn't finish college and are not at the helm of a wildly successful venture . ”(Actually, College Is Very Much Worth It) . This evidence further suggest the importance of a college education and addresses that a majority of people who pursue college are successful and that the majority of dropouts do not succeed. “The biggest absurdity is that a four year college degree has become the only gateway into the american middle class.”( Why College Isn't (And Shouldn't Have to Be) For Everyone). This claim further pushes the importance of obtaining a college education. It touches the importance that a college degree holds in the the lives of the working class and why people should achieve a college degree. For example “Nearly a third of employers say they have increased their educational requirements over the past five years, according to a recent survey by Chicago-based job search engine CareerBuilder.”( No college degree? There's a growing hurdle to getting hired). This evidence further shows the importance of a college degree . In the future more jobs will require higher education and people who don't choose to pursue a college degree will suffer while degree holders with prosper. As one can see from the points made in this article the ever growing need for college degree holders and and the overall importance of a college education can impact the ways we will live our lives.

While people think a college education isn't important in today's society because most people don't even use their college degree and makes people feel useless, especially when they drop out . However according to “How Important Is a College Education?” “many employees with a high school education may secure jobs with good benefits, college graduates typically fare better, entering higher-level careers with greater salaries . They are also more likely to receive promotions, earn raises and develop reasoning and communication skills that can be applied to their jobs.”. As one can see from the article college provides sustainable living condition, most jobs in the future will require a college education which is even more reason to go, and college creates happier and healthier lives. While the people of today argue that college isn't worth it they most obviously haven’t seen the perks of furthering one's education.