My Epitome of Courage | Teen Ink

My Epitome of Courage

By RomandaDobson BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida
RomandaDobson BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida

As an introvert, the only justification I have for raising my voice is, in the words of Malala Yousafzai, “so that those without a voice can be heard.” In my school, I raise my voice for members of the LGBTQ community, and other targeted minority groups by being a peer counselor (which involves presenting on topics such as anti-bullying, and suicide prevention, tutoring students that need academic help, and being a role model to my peers through my conduct). The motivation for my small scale effort is the large scale effort that Malala Yousafzai has made to ensure that girls in Pakistan have the right to an education. Despite being threatened by the Taliban, Malala boldly voiced her opinions and emphatically encouraged females to educate themselves. Even after a near fatal shot, Malala still courageously pioneers education rights for girls, and here I am with my greatest fear being stepping outside my comfort zone and making a greater impact in my school and community. If I could meet Malala, my epitome of courage, the question I would ask her is- how do you fight the urge to silence yourself and recant your beliefs because of fear?