Overcome | Teen Ink

Overcome

By emfinello BRONZE, Moon Township, Pennsylvania
emfinello BRONZE, Moon Township, Pennsylvania

I am a genuine person. My heart is full and fragile and for a young woman in high school, that isn’t always the ideal personality to possess.

For a long time, I let others walk all over me which led to an ongoing depression leaving me empty for the entirety of my junior year. While having this constant weight huddling over my shoulders, school work became very difficult as well as my focus and my drive to get myself where I wanted to be.

Although battling through this misfortune changed the outcome of my junior year negatively, these difficulties formed me into exactly who I am today. For that, I will always be grateful. My grandfather has told me since before I could remember that anything that came my way was nothing I couldn’t handle. After overcoming so much, I know now that he was always right.

Before, I cared too much about things that were not relevant at all. After that, I learned so much. I learned how to be a friend when I was alone and I learned how to love when I wasn’t shown enough. Having learned about the greater aspects of life has become very important to me as I move forward into my education and into the real world. There is a lot more to life than what is portrayed as important and what is drilled into the minds of youth. There is more to life than money, status, and a grade on a report card. Having realized that has made life more enjoyable and reasonable.

I want to be able to help others some day. I know that after my personal experiences I will be able to relate with others and help them overcome certain circumstances as well as I did. Whatever life brings to the table, it can be handled, no matter the situation. Being a person with extraordinarily strong emotions has always been my best quality yet my greatest weakness as well. I believe that the world needs that balance; the balance between people who feel too much and those who don’t feel anything at all. I want to further my education in psychology by learning about the human mind and why people do the things they do and why they feel the way they feel.

I wrote this piece for my college essay for Ohio University