Finish on Empty | Teen Ink

Finish on Empty

By Vivian Perez BRONZE, Coral Gables, Florida
Vivian Perez BRONZE, Coral Gables, Florida

Finish on empty: inspirational words used by my cross-country coach my first year of high school.  These words clicked with me so readily, as it perfectly encompassed a mindset I was quickly learning to live by.  To me, those words meant start strong, dig deep, and give everything I have to the race.  This attitude had already started to parallel with my academic life due to the failure that was fresh on my mind.

“Me, regular classes?” was my response after Immaculata La Salle’s freshmen counselor called about my low entrance exam scores prior to starting high school.  At that moment, I felt my confidence decrease, inferior to my peers, unprepared for what is to come, and defeated. Behind me were years of straight A’s and exemplary accomplishments at an “A” rated public middle school, and what laid ahead was unclear at my new private high school. The low score on the entrance exam made me realize the knowledge and achievements I amassed over the years were insufficient. In spite of awards proudly displayed on my walls showcasing academic and extracurricular achievements, I simply fell within the average; it was a tough reality to accept.  Until that point in time, I believed I exceeded all limits known to me.  It was a wake up call, a defining moment proposing that change in this new challenging environment was needed.

The first step was to get out of my comfort zone.  I was used to the routine: attend classes, memorize, and ace the test.  Evidently, that would not be the strategy to succeed in high school.  I learned to think critically, creatively, and delve deeper than requested.  Taking rigorous notes, putting things into context and questioning my understanding became the new norm.  Outside resources such as videos and practice problems on the internet provided reinforcement.

I realized certain courses would not come as easy for me to succeed, and working harder than my peers was necessary. Giving up extracurricular activities was not a an option.  I had to balance student council, cross country, and being secretary for a club, which works to help the children of migrant workers.  Those sacrifices, made me want to challenge myself more because I love the feeling of accomplishment.  Whenever a course was undemanding, I immediately requested to be switched into more advanced curriculum. Challenging myself exposed me to additional opportunities instead of settling for what is in front of me and closing doors to my growth.

It is not our ability but our choices that define our future and what we can accomplish.  A man with a prosthetic leg has the same ability as I do to run a marathon and finish as one of the finalists.  It is his choice to wake up tomorrow and attack his goal.  He will turn doubt into confidence, hard work into performance, and setbacks into the unstoppable.  This mindset allows for limitless achievement.  I am confident and ready for the new journey to begin.

This failure created my habits to overcome the next challenge. These habits include the confidence to find a way to succeed at the highest level because I trained for the race, and it has just begun.  As my cross country coach instilled, “finish on empty”.

I was inspired to write this piece because I feel like its easier for us to see the good in accomplishments, and hard for us to find the good in failures. One who never failed never succeeded because when we fail we learn lessons and find ways to do it right the next time. I hope people get from it that failure never is a negative thing, one can fail but its not the failure you should focus on. We should focus on the hidden lesson and how we can apply it to make a brighter future.