Bookworm | Teen Ink

Bookworm MAG

Nerd, brainiac, loser - I used to hear those words a lot, but they never bothered me asthey might have hurt others, because I am a bookworm, and proud of it. Readingcomes naturally to me, almost like breathing.

I remember all the booksI've read since I was five, and how much I loved them. It used to be a greattreat to wake up early Saturday mornings and go to garage sales with my mom. Theonly items I looked for were books - picture books, fairy-tale books, easychapter books and hardcovers that I would have to wait a few years to read. Theywere all wonderful and special treasures, and I was extremely proud of my growingcollection.

I'm proud because I am a bookworm.

Reading has alwaysbeen a great way to escape everyday life without actually leaving. All it takesis a little imagination, and since I have plenty of that, reading has always beenfun.

When I got to middle school with my large collection, maybe largeenough to call my own library, my parents began fighting more frequently. Istarted devouring books even more. On the weekends I would check out three booksfrom the library to keep me occupied.

My favorite author was R. L. Stine,especially his "Fear Street" series that I read and reread, and if itwere a really good one, read again. For some reason, I never seemed to hear thefighting that was worsening each day or the names my parents called each otherwhile I was reading, but as soon as I put down the book I was all too aware ofwhat was happening.

Now that I am beyond some of the roughest of my teenyears, I don't need reading as an escape anymore. Now I can read for sheerpleasure. Since I've learned so much from it, I feel really lucky, as though Ihave an advantage others don't.

I am lucky because I am abookworm.

So what literature means to me is very simple - all the booksI have read or will read bring me pleasure. Literature is the books that made mesmile, laugh, cry, and the ones that made me angry. I remember not being able tofinish Fahrenheit 451 because in it they burned all books. I found this atrocious- destroying knowledge.

Literature is what got me through my parents'divorce and kept me somewhat sane. Without books I probably would have ripped myhair out. So I wholeheartedly give thanks to authors of the wonderful literatureI enjoy every day. I know that whenever I need to escape, all I have to do isopen a book and turn the page.

I will always proudly remember that I am abookworm.

Linnerkinner said...
They have the name of the author of this essay wrong. I wrote this essay my senior year of high school for my English comp class. My name is Lindsay Krinhop and this was originally published in 2002.

on Feb. 1 2011 at 6:30 am
youngbutbrilliant BRONZE, KB, Other
I used to be a HUGE bookworm: i was addicted to books! I had no friends though, and i would read instead of do my homework and stuff. Now, though, i have found a good balance: My family, friends, and homework are top priority, but I still love to read.

facey1314 said...
facey1314, Sharjah, California

"people don't judge you by your thoughts, but by your actions"

woww!!!

it was like they were talking abt me, cuzzz im a reaally big bookworm and i just cn't get enough of hearing that..:)