Culinary Institute of America | Teen Ink

Culinary Institute of America MAG

By Anonymous

     I love everything about cooking. I love to be in the hot kitchen filled with the smell of rosemary being crushed, the odor of the pastries coming out of the oven, the Béarnaise sauce simmering in a pot ready to be drizzled over fresh Alaskan king salmon, and all the entrees being plated for the customer. But most of all I love the atmosphere of the kitchen and am awed by the speed at which every dish is customized for each diner. I could talk all day about how the culinary arts are such a humbling, difficult, and rewarding profession. My passion for cooking is why I believe it would be a wise choice to accept my application for entry into the highly esteemed Culinary Institute of America.

When it comes to citizenship and the ability to work with others, I excel. I am never too harsh nor too lenient toward others. I try to deal fairly with all and am open to others’ opinions. I follow directions very well and do what I am told while still trying to infuse my own creativity into the food I cook.

My strongest point in the kitchen is my ability to use the equipment for its intended purposes. I work well with melon/cheeseballers, whisks, blenders, pans, and especially cutlery. I use only the finest Hitori Hanzo cutlery and take the utmost care in cutting, dicing, mincing, and chopping with speed and precision while maintaining a safe cutting environment. When it comes to the speed of productivity, you can find no one better.

In my mind, my most profitable skill would have to be my enthusiasm and willingness to try new things. Cooking is a skill that can never be perfected no matter how hard you try but the knowledge I want to obtain will help me in the kitchen more than anything else.

The CIA is such a prestigious school that I would be honored to attend. I promise to be a student who will live up to its high expectations.