We accept 8-10th graders in Fall 2007 who have a strong interest in chamber music or environmental science. Hands-on instruction from well-known faculty, scholars and artists. Substantial financial aid is available.
Hotchkiss Summer Portals is all about learning through doing. This summer we hope you’ll learn some excellent music, or awesome environmental science work. If you’re between twelve and fifteen years old and you’re interested in chamber music (instrumental or voice) or environmental science, then you should consider joining us this summer in the beautiful hills of northwestern Connecticut. You’ll learn from and live with teachers and students from around the world.
- A student-teacher ratio of just 3:1
- A student body of just about 90 kids from diverse backgrounds
- Individualized attention for each student from terrific teachers
- A distinguished faculty supplemented by visiting speakers, guest scientists, guest performers, resident musicians, and graduate students
- Classes that revolve around action-playing in ensembles, practicing pieces, discussing topics and assignments, conducting labs, traveling on field trips, and exploring nearby ecosystems
- Become friends with faculty and residential fellows. They’ll be your teachers, advisors, and mentors, and they’ll help you adjust to life at Portals.
- Meet kids from all around the world and from all sorts of different backgrounds. Portalsgraduates tell us how they stay in touch all year long with their friends from the summer. Come and make new connections!