Titanfall 2 on PC and Console | Teen Ink

Titanfall 2 on PC and Console

March 2, 2018
By ChristophL SILVER, Tirana, Other
ChristophL SILVER, Tirana, Other
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Titanfall 2, the game where fast, agile pilots sprint around the battlefield up to 40 kilometers an hour blasting guns while massive, metal humanoid Titans simultaneously fall from the sky, crushing anything they land on. Titanfall 2 is definitely one of the best games ever made. Nearly everything about it is original and exhilarating. It is full of fast paced multiplayer action along with a dynamic campaign.


In Titanfall 2’s campaign, the player plays as Jack Cooper, a rifleman who is taking part on an attack on IMC planet Typhon. Right before Captain Lastimosa dies, he promotes Jack to pilot in the hopes that he will be able to fulfill the mission. Jack links to Lastimosa’s old titan, BT-7274, also known as BT. The player starts out with no double jump, the game familiarising the player to few enemies and certain parkour elements. The player is then granted double jump, and the count of enemies gradually increase, which allows them to develop their skills even further. The first mission teaches the player what to expect from the game, with minimal titan gameplay along with substantial pilot gameplay. All the missions are usually balanced in one way or another. Some are more pilot based, others more Titan. Then there are the missions with a balance of both pilot and titans.


However, I think that the mission design is not very strong. This is because each of the fifteen to twenty minute missions are split up into chapters. I don’t think this is necessary and I think it would have been better to not split the missions. The immersive gameplay of the campaign is interrupted by the loading screens, which I found slightly annoying while playing the game.


I fell in love with the multiplayer in Titanfall 2 instantly. I always look forward to jumping out of a dropship and engaging enemies in a unique battlefield, both suitable for pilots and titans. The maps are full of vertical surfaces which allow for high speed travel, and the wide variety of game modes provide different use of the terrain. I love that I always have to keep my eyes peeled for swift pilots while avoiding the giant titans that I hear stomping around the battlefield. I always find myself holding my breath when I get into an intense one on one fight with another pilot. However, when I started playing, I found myself encountering at least one player who used a one way wall and a single shot assault rifle. Still, Titanfall 2 is easy to adapt to, and it’s mastered after about three games played.


The mobility in Titanfall 2 has been done exceptionally well. It is very smooth, not to mention the speed of the pilots as they traverse the battlefield is monitored very well. pilots can slide far, but slide even further if sliding down a smooth surface. For example, the speed you will be travelling at after jumping off a wall is 42 km/h, while jumping after a normal sprint will only be around 20 km/h. However, I do think that basing most of the game mechanics off of momentum has made things confusing and difficult to balance. In particular, the melee has continuously seen changes, sometimes making it overpowered or completely useless, which is a shame because it is always fun to close a gap instantly with grapple or stim and melee your opponent before they realise what has happened.


The titan gameplay has also been designed exceptionally well. All 7 titans are unique and cater to different players. Titans such as Legion and Scorch are good for holding down areas, while Ronin is good for hit-and-run tactics. They have seen many nerfs and changes, which have made them to become completely balanced. Every titan’s core ability is also unique and devastating. Some last longer than others, but they all reflect the main role of the titan, whether it be launching a rocket salvo or a devastating laser beam.
The mechanics of Titanfall 2 combined with the completely original idea make it a unique and exciting experience for gamers. With practice, the game can become so much fun that one would never get bored, especially along with the Regeneration system which allows you to rank up as much as you would like.


The author's comments:

This is definetely my favorite game ever.