Undertale on PC | Teen Ink

Undertale on PC

December 4, 2017
By deku389 BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
deku389 BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 When I first heard of Undertale, my friend introduced me into it. She showed me some fan artwork and fan videos of the game, and sent me straight away to the gameplay. I watched Undertale and immediately loved it.
Undertale is an RPG and strategy game that requires thinking to finish puzzles. You play as a small fallen human named Frisk who fell in the underground from Mountain Ebott in the year 20XX, meeting many monsters along the way. With the past behind monsters and humans, Frisk is off to a rocky start. She must find her way to King Dreemurr, the ruler of the underground, to get out of the underground for good.


In Undertale, you make your own story. It consists of 3 routes: Pacifist, Genocide, and Neutral. In Pacifist, you show mercy to all monsters in the Underground, refusing to fight them. In Genocide, you kill all monsters, refusing to show any kindness to them. In Neutral, it’s a combination of both. You fight monsters until they are low in health, and then you spare them at that moment. Every action you make is what drives the story, so choose carefully.


What brought interest to me the most is the monsters reacting to how you “reset”, or come back into the game with your determination. After an amount of resetting your world to start the whole game over multiple times, the characters catch on, but very slowly.


The best part, in my opinion, is the soundtrack. It gives you a feel as the story progresses. Some songs give you a sense of, some with a sense of confidence and determination, and others with a sense of danger. In all contrary, the soundtrack will be stuck in your head and will leave you tapping your foot.


This single-player RPG was made by Toby Fox, and he did a fantastic job constructing it. To add to the game’s uniqueness, the style in which you play is 8-bit. It’s nothing like Mario back in the day, it looks better and cleaner to play in. Some more uniqueness? Whenever a monster’s words type on the screen, a pitch plays along with it. It gives you a synopsis of how the voice of the monster is, which is cool, because you can play around and try to voice act it if you’d like!


The game is cool to play. Undertale is downloadable on PC, so why not get it? I would recommend playing it if you’re into RPG, puzzle, and/or strategy games. It’s a fun game to play and it’s worth $20 dollars on Steam.