Assassin's Creed Rogue | Teen Ink

Assassin's Creed Rogue

May 26, 2016
By Anonymous

In the midst of The Seven Years’ War, North America is the front of France and Britain's race to gain land in the new world. Shay Patrick Cormac, a young assassin recruit will make the transition from assassin to assassin hunter. Hunting his old allies to ensure that the Assassin’s don’t discover any more Precursor Temples and that the colonies remain safe from the carelessness of the Assassin’s. We are going to find out how good this game really is.
When the game starts Shay is seen free-running in the trees while reciting the three tenets of the creed. The tenants are as follows: Stay your blade from the flesh of the innocent, hide in plain sight, and never compromise the Brotherhood. His next objective is to assassinate the assassin below him. From there Shay’s story takes him to Albany, New York City, and the North Atlantic. Killing high ranking Templars like: Lawrence Washington, James Wardrop, and Samuel Smith. About one third of the way through the main story Shay switches sides, and kills those he once called brothers: Chevalier, Liam O'Brien, and Hope. His long journey ends with the last two main assassins are defeated. With Liam dead and Achilles crippled Shay assures the Templar Grandmaster Haytham Kenway that the assassins will no longer be a threat.


AC Rogue maintained the open world environment its predecessor AC Black Flag had with three main areas: The River Valley, The North Atlantic, and New York City. It plays almost identical to Black flag with a ship to sail through rivers and oceans. Freerunning is still the best way to traverse the landscape. Unlike Black Flag there are no underwater wrecks because the North Atlantic’s water temp is well below zero making diving the waters impossible in 18 Century standards.


There are two types of combat: Ground and Naval combat, first is ground combat. It is relatively easy to kill regular guards with the counter and attack strategy in which you wait to counter. And when you press the counter button press (x) to assassinate, (b) to throw, or (a) to disarm. There is an extra danger in this game and that danger is: The Stalkers. They are assassins who blend into their surroundings to get the jump on you. But their position is almost always given away by the whispers that show how close they are and what direction, only making them a nuisance only when you don’t spot them in time.


Now for my favorite part: Naval Combat. In the rivers and oceans there are ships with valuable resources on board and the only way to get them is to sink or board the boat. Boarding yields all the resources while sinking the ship only yields half. Always watch bigger enemy ships like brigs because that can board you and you must defend your ship. Also, your actions at sea will not go unpunished. The wanted meter is represented by a crossed sword symbol, every ship you sink will raise your wanted level will go up. The more the icons light up the more relentless the bounty hunters will be.


In Conclusion Assassin's Creed Rogue has a lot in common with Assassin’s Creed Black Flag and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, it’s actually a good thing. Amazing graphics combined with excellent combat and a great story to keep you hooked on the game. This game is a 9.5/10 or 4.5/5 stars. The game is totally worth its price of $15 US Dollars.