Destiny: The Taken King | Teen Ink

Destiny: The Taken King

March 10, 2016
By HailToTheStud SILVER, West Haven, Utah
HailToTheStud SILVER, West Haven, Utah
7 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be successful as a man is to make more money than your significant other can spend. To be successful as a woman is to find such a man."
"Trial is putting your life in the hands of 12 people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty"


Destiny. The game created by the creators of the Halo Series, Bungie, where your resurrected “Guardian” leads an epic battle against “The Darkness”, imbued by the Traveler’s light. Much of the game is clouded by mysteries and gray areas. But one thing is for sure. Bungie’s third expansion is massive. Boasting a larger item database than ever before, a new enemy race; The Taken, a new endgame activity; King’s Fall Raid, and so much more. With Destiny 2 pegged for 2017, and the newest expansion coming this Spring, it has drawn some attention.

Pros:

The Taken. Not much is known about this race of enemies besides the fact that they were once belonging to one of the other enemy races (Fallen, Hive, Cabal, and Vex), before they were “taken” by Oryx, the new antagonist. The process of taking enemies is unknown, but what is known is the fact that when they return from being taken, they have new powers to compliment their weaknesses before being taken. But on the outside, apart from the new powers and a re-skin, there’s nothing new aesthetically speaking. But Bungie outdid themselves on creating new powers for these enemies without making it seem too difficult. As with every other aspect of the game, everything is able to be countered, as long as you know how.

The Dreadnaught. The new playable area. This ship was the mightiest of Oryx’s fleet, and is the sole survivor of the fleet. Perfect combination of mystery, aesthetic attention to detail, puzzles to solve, enemies to fight, and room to explore. Containing s new patrol, new missions, and the aforementioned endgame King’s Fall Raid. Again, Bungie outdid themselves here.

Cons:

The Community. Bungie doesn’t do an amazing job at managing their community. The Bungie forums are mostly toxic. and I wouldn’t recommend visiting them. Also, Bungie promised better weapon balance in the Player vs. Player aspect of the game. Something that if anything, has gotten worse since the release of the expansion. An additional con on that same note is that, when they weaken, or “nerf” as the community affectionately calls the adjustment, a weapon for PvP, those same changes apply for Player vs. Enemy activities.

The price. If you don’t already have the other expansions, and/or you’re just starting out in the game, it can get a little pricy. With the full game/expansions pack costing a hefty $60 at most sources. But that’s just baseplate, if you want extra content along with that, it will cost much more.

Overall, the game is a great game, and will not let you down in most aspects. There is some things that Bungie needs to fix, but the game is constantly evolving, so that shouldn’t bother you too much.