Fallout 4 | Teen Ink

Fallout 4

March 9, 2016
By getshreked420 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
getshreked420 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

How can a world that no one wants to imagine, be so much fun? This is exactly the thought I had when playing Fallout 4, an open-world role-playing game. It showcases what a world would be like if there was a nuclear apocalypse. Fallout 4 was released on November 10th, 2015 and developed by Bethesda Softworks. Since then, it has sold millions of copies.


The game takes place in post-apocalyptic Boston, in the year 2287, 210 years after a destructive nuclear war. The player takes the role of the “sole survivor”, who awakes in a cryogenic chamber in vault 111, a giant underground fallout shelter. The main character must find their son, who was kidnapped while they were in cryo-sleep. When the player emerges from the vault they find that society has completely collapsed and that Boston has been overrun by mutated creatures and people. The goal of the game is for the player to find their son and get stronger along the way by completing jobs and acquiring better gear.


After playing Fallout 4 for over 120 hours, I still can find something to entertain me. The story kept me interested to advance in the quests. On top of that, the map is packed with unique
locations and interesting characters. Compared to its prequels, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, the gameplay and combat has greatly improved. The combat feels less stiff and makes the game feel more like a shooter than a role-playing game. Aside from that, the dialogue menu in Fallout 4 is not as interesting as Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. The player’s options for conversation are reduced to 4 choices, where in other Fallout games there is 5 or more options.


It is available for $59.99 on the PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Considering I spent 120 hours on this game and I’m not even finished, the cost of the game is well worth the price. There are over 140 quests to complete. Fallout 4 also now has factions, 4 of which the player can join. Along with that, building and creating settlements is new to the game.


I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys role-playing games and first person shooters. Even though I’ve completed the main quest-line, the game keeps me intrigued in advancing. Fallout 4 will always be one of my favorites, and will never fail to interest me.