Johnny's Payday Panic | Teen Ink

Johnny's Payday Panic

November 20, 2015
By Fanfiction13 PLATINUM, Somewhere, Other
Fanfiction13 PLATINUM, Somewhere, Other
28 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's no fame without fans.


Review of Johnny's Payday Panic
6.75/10

Concept and Characters:
What would you do if you wanted to become a hotshot? A man like Johnny would collect cards. Though, not just any cards, hotshot cards. He came up with this idea when Elvis dropped a couple of these cards one day when passing through town. Johnny realized that this is how people like Elvis become famous. He sets out on a mission to collect as many hotshot cards as possible by working at various jobs to earn money and become famous! When the introduction to a game is something like this, you know you're in for something special. This feeling is also accompanied by lead character Johnny's exuberant and random behavior. Though it does also feel that the tone of the game is relatable to a rhtym/action DS game called Elite Beat Agents. Elite Beat Agents is about a group of agents that sing songs to people to solve their problems and cheer them up. Both games have a funny and unique vibe that they set for their respective game.

Gameplay:
For a game that sets itself up for such a unique experience, Johnny's Payday Panic falls a bit short in execution. With five different jobs, or mini games, it feels like enough content for a game that initially costs $3.99. It does provide enough bang for its buck, but the way it does is the problem. While some of the minigames are simple, yet challenging by offering fast paced difficulty, others are overly complex which makes serving customers hard and stressful. Though, both kinds of games offer new unlockables every time you work hard enough to fill a bar of experience. This is one way the game keeps its audience wanting to keep playing. Another way is by keeping a sense of realism with some days having jobs being packed with people or having a boss calling about where you are if you haven't been to a job in a while. With all these features, gameplay is a jumbled mess of good and bad content.

Graphics:
While the hand drawn characters add to the comedy of the game, the CGI graphics are outdated and look like they belong on a DS game like Starfy.

Sound:
The music is unappealing and the sounds the customers make once served their food are annoying and downright creepy.

Conclusion:
What you have here is captured potential that has fallen halfway on its own weight. Johnny's Payday Panic does attempt to appeal to both casual and intense gamers, but it only ends up revolting most players away. For those looking for a time waster with a comedic charm, this is the game for you. Others playing this will be left craving for a more entertaining experience.