Terraria | Teen Ink

Terraria MAG

November 19, 2015
By Nestor_Martinez BRONZE, Hemet, California
Nestor_Martinez BRONZE, Hemet, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Terraria” is an action/adventure sandbox game created by Re-Logic. The game has a simplistic and pixilated art style that might turn off some players but that complements the gameplay very well.
This game’s plot is, well, nothing. Since it’s a sandbox game, there really isn’t a plot. You could fish for the whole game if you chose to. Along the way you will encounter other friendly entities called non-player characters. They will help you by selling and buying items from you or giving you advice on what to do next. For them to spawn in, you have to meet a certain requirement – like finding and using a heart crystal or killing a boss – and then you have to build a house for them.

The game does have a progression system, with dozens of ores and gems that help you get better armor, weapons, and tools. The multitude of ores and gems can only be unlocked with items you get from slaying bosses. The bosses range from the Eye of Cthulhu to the Wall of Flesh in Pre-Hardmode. When you do finally destroy the Wall of Flesh, ominous text appears, “The ancient spirits of light and dark have been released,” and the game switches to Hardmode.

In Hardmode, your world has just gotten much, much harder. All of the armor and weapons that worked before now leave you vulnerable and weak. Along with harder enemies, there are new bosses you must defeat and ores to collect to progress. Events such as the Martian Invasion happen randomly in Hardmode. When you survive and defeat the Martian Invasion, they will drop items like a U.F.O. as a vehicle, which allows you to cross the world faster and helps you defeat the end boss, who is extremely difficult.

“Terraria” is a game I’ve enjoyed. The feeling of progression is something I love. Going from struggling to surviving to decimating bosses and having the ultimate gear is something I strive for. The intensity of a boss fight in “Terraria” and conquering the boss after one or more tries is extremely satisfying. This game can take hundreds of hours and does not lose its appeal. You can play with friends for more fun.

“Terraria” is one of the best games on Steam and should be in any PC gamer’s collection. I give it 10 Eyes of Cthulhu out of 10.

The author's comments:

I couldn't find how to insert a picture of Terraria, so here's a picture of a tenor sax.