Call of Duty on Playstation 3 | Teen Ink

Call of Duty on Playstation 3

April 8, 2011
By 1997cody1997 BRONZE, Clifton Park, New York
1997cody1997 BRONZE, Clifton Park, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Call of Duty video game franchise is the number one game franchise today. Each game has broken multiple records and is the most recognized video game. Out of all teenage boys (ages 10-18) if you ask them about Call of Duty, most if not all of them will be able to describe their favorite game in the series with great detail. The total sales revenue, amount of copies sold, and looking at game reviews is the best way to judge the success of his most popular video game series.

The third best rated Call of Duty game is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. The story takes place in the year 2011, where a radical leader has executed the president of an unnamed country in the Middle East, and an “Ultranationalist” movement starts a civil war in Russia. The conflicts are seen from the perspectives of a U.S. Reconnaissance Marine and a British SAS commando, and are set in multiple locations, including the Middle East, Azerbaijan, Russia, and Pripyat, Ukraine. The total sales revenue is more than half a million dollars. The game sold thirteen million copies by May of 2009. ” There are only little, meaningless things that could be done to improve this masterpiece; Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is nothing short of mind blowing.”

The second best rated Call of Duty game is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. The player assumes the role of various characters during the single-player campaign, changing perspectives throughout the progression of the story. Each level is a mission that features a series of objectives that are displayed on the heads up display, which marks the direction and distance towards and from such objectives. Damage to the player is shown by blood shown on the screen. The player's health regenerates as time passes. Tasks vary in their requirements, having the player arrive at a particular checkpoint, eliminate enemies in a specified location, stand their ground to defend an objective, or plant explosive charges on an enemy installation. The player is accompanied by friendly troops who cannot be issued orders. Laptop computers that contain enemy intelligence appear throughout the campaign and may be collected. The game made has made total revenue of more than one billion dollars since it was first released on November 14th, 2009. Anita Frazer of the NPD Group reported in March 2010 that the game had sold slightly under 10 million copies in the U.S. alone. “Mixing real-world locations with bombastic set-pieces MW2 continues the guided, thrill-ride experiences of its predecessor, and adds even more depth to its multiplayer offerings. (10/10) “

The number one rated Call of Duty game is Call of Duty: Black Ops. The player assumes the role of various characters during the single-player campaign, changing perspectives throughout the story. The playable characters are Special Forces operatives conducting black operations behind enemy lines. In this way, the player's characters have their own traits such as voices and shadows. Each mission features a series of objectives that are displayed on the heads-up display, which marks the direction and distance towards and from such objectives. The player is accompanied by friendly troops throughout the game. Although primarily a first-person shooter, the player pilots a Hind helicopter and guides friendly troops from a SR-71 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft. The campaign features several scripted cinematic moments. One of them is a bullet time effect during the "Victor Charlie" level, activated when the player fires toward the last enemy of a Viet Cong squad. By December 22, 2010, worldwide revenue of Black Ops exceeded $1 billion. By March 2011, it became the best-selling game of all-time in the United States, surpassing Wii Play; 13.7 million copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops had been sold in the United States alone. While maintaining the quality standard set by its predecessors, this explosive adventure through the conflicts of the Cold War pushes the series and the genre one step further.

The Call of Duty series is the best known video game to this day. The top three games are Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and Call of Duty: Black Ops. There are still games in development from the Call of Duty series which I expect to be just as amazing as the current top three, if not better.